The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How do you keep the brush for 'greasing' hovees clean? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-do-you-keep-brush-greasing-98295/)

manca 09-18-2011 04:31 PM

How do you keep the brush for 'greasing' hovees clean?

So, what works the best for you? Easy, fast way to do it?

DejaVu 09-20-2011 05:45 PM

I just wash it out with soapy water right after I use it.
Use dish soap. It cuts through the hard to wash off oils of hoof dressings the best.

gigem88 09-20-2011 06:01 PM

My hoof conditioner comes in a spray bottle, so no mess!

mumiinek 09-20-2011 06:25 PM

I don't... I put the head of the brush into a folded empty toilet paper roll after I'm done using it so that it doesn't make anything in my grooming box dirty and that's it. I make sure my horse's hooves are clean when I put the grease on and that I never drop the brush on the ground where dust, wood shavings etc. could stick on it so it never gets really messy, just greasy. I don't ever use the brush for anything else but hooves so I don't really see why I would want it clean if I'm going to make it dirty tomorrow again. But if I really needed to clean it for whatever reason, I'd use the dish soap as somebody suggested, it gets rid of grease quite easily.

DejaVu 09-20-2011 09:49 PM

I have the Hooflex conditioner in the liquid bottle that the lid is the brush. So that one I obviously don't clean.

But I also have Hooflex in the more pasty solid form, in which I have a separate brush for, and that's the one I keep washed so as not to get everything oily and disgusting.

waresbear 09-20-2011 10:16 PM

Years ago I had a stiff paint brush I would use & when I was done, I would put it in a small plastic baggy. Kept it moist and kept crud from clinging to the bristles. Don't think I ever washed it, because you're just using it for hoof conditioner anyways, might as well keep the product on it.

Prinella 09-21-2011 11:48 AM

Mine came with a clip on lid

Golden Horse 09-21-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1179709)
Years ago I had a stiff paint brush I would use & when I was done, I would put it in a small plastic baggy. Kept it moist and kept crud from clinging to the bristles. Don't think I ever washed it, because you're just using it for hoof conditioner anyways, might as well keep the product on it.

I vote for this approach