The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hock Laceration *Graphic* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hock-laceration-%2Agraphic%2A-98316/)

sbienusa 09-18-2011 06:17 PM

Hock Laceration *Graphic*

I just wanted to share my mares hock laceration to encourage those that have had a bad full skin laceration. My vet kept telling me the flaps would reattach, which I kept questioning him on. Apparently he was right. :) I will just put my photobucket link so you don't get grossed out by the pictures right off. :) It is graphic. It has been a really long haul, but we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I did have a bandage slip in July which cut into the back of her leg. I felt horrible! We had a family emergency and I glanced at her in her paddock and it looked fine, but when I came home late the next day, it had slipped and the cotton somehow had gotten under the vet wrap. :( So, two courses of antibiotics and a few months later, this is our progress. I am just posting to help anyone who might have had this happen to their horse. These cuts take so long to heal, that sometimes it is good to see pictures of another horses progress.

Pictures by sbienusa - Photobucket

natisha 09-18-2011 07:49 PM

Wow that looked ugly but it sure is coming along nicely. Don't feel bad about the bandage skipping, that's a hard place to wrap.
How did that happen?

sbienusa 09-18-2011 11:21 PM

Thanks for the nice words! :) I still feel horrible. I had gotten so good at wrapping them and keeping them up too, guess I got overconfident a little too soon. It absolutely made me sick! Anyway, we are not sure how she did it. We were at a baseball tourney out of town, and when we got back my son's girlfriend says, "What's wrong with Misty's leg?" She was walking on it fine, but there was definite swelling at that point. We walked the pasture, and we had two guesses. 1) the back fence on that pasture has woven wire with poles across the top. Nothing was extremely loose that we could find, but it might be possible that she was kicking at the neighbors gelding that likes to "converse" with the ladies, and put her leg through a square? There was no other cuts but this obviously horrid one. or 2) one of our lines of irrigation was noticeably knocked crooked. It may have been that the horses were running and she caught a sprinkler head on the joint, tearing it. Other than those two options, I really honestly do not know. The rest of the pasture is post and pole. :? I know people that pasture their horses in fields full of old haying equipment, cars, you name it. I don't think they have ever had a vet bill! LOL. And of course, this is my sons reining mare that came from McQuay stables....talk about a panic moment!

sbienusa 09-29-2011 08:05 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Just updated pictures. One day this will be healed . :shock: There are a lot more pictures on the photobucket page. Not sure why the one is sideways, its not on my computer? LOL.

MHFoundation Quarters 09-29-2011 08:16 PM

It's making great progress! Darn horses, they could find a way to hurt themselves in a padded room wearing bubble wrap. Looking forward to seeing her all healed up! Just from where she came from, she's my kinda mare ;)

equiniphile 09-29-2011 08:56 PM

Great progress! Keep us updated :-)

KatieQ 09-29-2011 09:15 PM

Oh dear! The first pic is awful but it is healing up nicely. Those are scary injuries- when I was little my mare and two other horses broke out of the field where we were boarding them, and the farmer tried to chase them back after he found them up the road. My mare was running in the ditch and she hit a culvert and tore her knee open- it looked very similar to your horse's injury. I was sure she would never be rideable again, but 3-4 mos later she was perfectly sound and there was barely even a scar left. Good luck and keep up the good nursing!

sbienusa 09-29-2011 09:51 PM

Thank you guys. It has been such a long haul. She is a great mare and we wouldn't trade her for anything! MHFoundation: She is a Reminic N Dunit daughter out of a Be Aech Enterprise daughter (lil orphan annie). Not that the breeding matters when you see something like this on your son's pride and joy! I just wanted to post these to help anyone else that might go through it, heaven forbid! I don't know how many times I drove the vets nuts questioning if it was healing right, fast enough, should there still be swelling, etc. etc. LOL... I was about to be banned I think! Sometimes it helps to see examples.

lilkitty90 09-29-2011 10:45 PM

she is looking great!! he had our mare get a really bad wound across her foot ( honestly she almost lost her foot) and we had a bit of problem with proud flesh, so her hoof will always be a little mishapen, even though we had the vet out quite a few tines to take some of it off. have you had any serious problems with proud flesh?

sbienusa 09-29-2011 11:20 PM

You know, I haven't had a real serious problem with proud flesh. I guess I was fortunate. I cleaned and hosed daily, wrapping with ointment, diapers, gauze, cotton, and vet wrap. If I felt it was overgranulating, I would use some Granulex. We never had to have it trimmed off or apply a steriod. Well, I take that last part back. When it granulated over real well, I did apply some Tzon on it in a pinch which has cortisone in it, and I have to admit it looked great afterwords! That was later in the healing process though. :) Now, believe it or not, my vet has me putting nothing on it. I just hose it with pressure. He believes that too much creams, etc, actually was delaying the healing process. That was really hard for me to do, because I just feel like something should be on it. I have to admit though, it seems to be working just fine without me overly fretting over it. After the bandage slipped, I was petrified to leave it for a whole day, so I doctored her 2X a day until we could leave it open.