The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Lead Changes? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/lead-changes-98318/)

LovePandaPony 09-18-2011 07:20 PM

Lead Changes?

I'm riding an AMAZING 16.1hh OTTB, and I adore him to peices! I loved everything about him, from his auto lead changes, to his cute head-frame. But the Auto Leadchanges completely ruined the chances of me getting pleasure champion at a flat show I went to.

It was a flat-class/western show ONLY, so I spent so much time perfecting my position, unlike the western ring. I got one second place in Equition, and a third in Halter, but when It came to the walk/trot Pleasure (- 16) I got first place. Then the full pleasure ( - 16) I got first place. I also won the Pleasure open, which sent me in two championship classes.

Since the show had so many people doing the same classes, they split each class into three classes, and split up the horses. For the Walk/trot/canter Pleasure ( -16) Championship, it was me and two other riders. For the Walk/trot/canter Pleasure (open) championship, it was me and five other riders, I was the only child under 16.

Everything was going smoothly, and I had a chance at winning. A few people were noticing ear pinning or tail swishing from the other horses, but nothing durastic. Then came the Counter-Canter.

I had NO idea how to ask a hot thoroughbred with auto lead changes how to counter canter. He's my trainers horse, and I've never had to use a cue on him. Now I'm faced with a problem: My horse can't counter canter for his life! He was SO confused!

Does anyone know:
How to GET a horse to Counter Canter
How to teach an auto horse new cues for something they already do

And a little random one I don't need detail about
Ways to get a horse to stop rushing fences
(He has a long back, so not only does he rush, but he is in the air for a long time, and will take off early a lot)

Sahara 09-18-2011 08:35 PM

I have never heard of a western riding class asking for a counter canter?

DejaVu 09-18-2011 09:42 PM

Most times it's nice to have an auto changer, accept for times like these.
My horse is an auto changer as well- when he wants to be. It's not a guaranteed feature for him. Otherwise he can be quite the moron about picking up the correct lead. Getting him comfortable on both leads no matter the direction wasn't too difficult.

Take him on a straight away, such as the middle of the arena, and ask for the opposite lead. He will want to pull his auto changes coming around a corner, since that's when he starts losing his balance. Take him back down to a trot, when you get close to a turn. Work that for awhile, to get him picking up either lead you cue for. Then slowly start building in your turns.

It will take some time, especially for an auto changer. It's against what he's used to doing. Slowly building in your turns and adding on strides will eventually get him there.

LovePandaPony 09-18-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara (Post 1177283)
I have never heard of a western riding class asking for a counter canter?

It was a combined schooling show, with English flat classes and Western classes. I rode english ^^

LovePandaPony 09-18-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1177337)
Most times it's nice to have an auto changer, accept for times like these.
My horse is an auto changer as well- when he wants to be. It's not a guaranteed feature for him. Otherwise he can be quite the moron about picking up the correct lead. Getting him comfortable on both leads no matter the direction wasn't too difficult.

Take him on a straight away, such as the middle of the arena, and ask for the opposite lead. He will want to pull his auto changes coming around a corner, since that's when he starts losing his balance. Take him back down to a trot, when you get close to a turn. Work that for awhile, to get him picking up either lead you cue for. Then slowly start building in your turns.

It will take some time, especially for an auto changer. It's against what he's used to doing. Slowly building in your turns and adding on strides will eventually get him there.

I love his leads in Hunter, Equitation over Fences, and Jumper classes, when I don't need to think, but that flat class KILLED me! I will try that, and yeah, I bet it will take a while. xD Trik gets so confused