The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Need Help getting rid of Mitchs winter coat! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/need-help-getting-rid-mitchs-winter-98445/)

HollyBubbles 09-20-2011 06:38 AM

Need Help getting rid of Mitchs winter coat!

Now I know, pretty standard question really, I brush him thoroughly every day, and his neck is nearly finished shedding out (for now anyway, probably start again next week :lol:)

I find a bot knife removes loose hair really easy especially if its wet, but I can only use it on the flat areas, like his neck, shoulders, back and rump.

How do I go about getting the hair of the areas he doesn't like being touched a lot? For example, behind the top of his front legs and under his chest, and his flank to name the main few.. Under his belly he doesn't like either but will tolerate it. It's just for the areas he really doesn't like, he lifts a leg or bares his teeth in warning (and yes he does of course get growled for this)

It's bad enough just in front of the girth area that I keep finding partially loose dags... Yes my horse is shedding dreadlocks, oh the shame :lol:

So how do you help your horse get rid of those winter woolies, without clipping?

LetAGrlShowU 09-20-2011 09:05 AM

flax seed. Either get a coat supplement with it in it or buy it and put it in his feed. It really helps.

MHFoundation Quarters 09-20-2011 09:38 AM

I don't have any sensitive to touch horses, I use a shop vac on mine :-)

My favorite shedding tool is slick & easy blocks but I will not pay full price for them. They are basically the same thing used by restaurants to clean flat top grills. I get them from a restaurant supply in a big block, that when cut with a hacksaw makes 10 the size of the ones they charge $5 for marketed to horse folks. The whole block costs me significantly less, so much so that each block costs me less than .25.

On youngsters at first with legs and more touchy spots to shed them, I use an exfoliating bath glove. It feels like getting a good pet but pulls some of the loose stuff as well. If your guy is tolerant of you handling those areas but not a hard groom, it might be worth a try.

usandpets 09-20-2011 09:41 AM

You could try giving him a very warm bath. It seems to get the hair to loosen up and come out easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

DejaVu 09-20-2011 05:43 PM

I also use the Slick and Easy grooming blocks. Those little things are great grooming tools for getting rid of caked on sweat, mud, and shedding out an unruly coat.

None of my horses are sensitive to touch, so I don't know if he'll take a grooming block any better than a brush, but as far as loosening and raking out winter coats, the blocks do a nice job.

LadynDibs 09-20-2011 07:21 PM

I really like using a shedding blade, it can be used very gently, my arab likes his cheeks done with it but you can also apply quite a lot of pressure on less sensitive areas

HollyBubbles 09-21-2011 02:46 AM

Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I'll try them all within the next few weeks.

MHFQ - I have an exfoliating glove and I know he doesn't like it being used in circles, but I haven't tried it .. shop vac? Do you mean like a standard vaccum cleaner or? Because I've heard of people vaccum cleaning their horses but I haven't tried that yet :lol:

Day Mares 09-21-2011 06:03 AM

I am dealing with the same thing atm.

Bath gloves are great for getting to the hard to groom areas that a shedding blade can't reach but I go the same direction as the hair as much as possible. Rubbing backward or in circles is a no-no!

MHFoundation Quarters 09-21-2011 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyBubbles (Post 1179845)
Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I'll try them all within the next few weeks.

MHFQ - I have an exfoliating glove and I know he doesn't like it being used in circles, but I haven't tried it .. shop vac? Do you mean like a standard vaccum cleaner or? Because I've heard of people vaccum cleaning their horses but I haven't tried that yet :lol:

It's a garage/shop type vacuum. Like this:
Attachment 75462

I have a brush attachment on it. I only have one who doesn't enjoy it, but it's more the noise than the actual vacuuming itself. The rest of the them turn into mushy beggars when I drag it out like "Ooh, me first, me first!" There's some definite desensitization to do before just attacking one with a vac though as it is quite noisy.

When they are first starting to lose their winter fuzzies and it comes out in handfuls I will use the slick n easy blocks with the vac and suck up the hair as I loosen it with the block.

MysticL 09-21-2011 10:40 AM

I use a shedding comb (I tried to send a link) they work wonders. The more sensitive areas I rub down with a good old fashioned Dandy brush. my horse lives out so she is shedding at the moment and it's aweful! that hair just never seems to end!

Shedding Comb