The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Thoughts on what breed(s) this rescue mare is and feeding advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/thoughts-what-breed-s-rescue-mare-98485/)

Jacksmama 09-20-2011 05:17 PM

Thoughts on what breed(s) this rescue mare is and feeding advice

3 Attachment(s)
My boyfriend and I went to look at a horse for non-horsey friends to ride and ended up rescuing this mare. She is unbelievably sweet, well mannered on the ground and in definite need of some TLC. She was given to the gentleman that had her 2 days before we picked her up, apparently she and 4 others had been left out in a dry lot with no food because the people couldn't afford hay or grain anymore. :evil:
We were told he thought she is a QH/TB mix, what do you think?

Also, any feeding advice is welcome. The vet will be out this week to look at her.

BarrelracingArabian 09-20-2011 09:14 PM

I think thats about right... Poor girl glad you took her in shes going to be gorgeous once she gets some groceries in her :]

HorseLovinLady 09-20-2011 09:53 PM

I'm no expert but she looks like she may have some Arabian in her and maybe some quarter horse too. She's gorgeous and bless you for rescuing her!

kayleeloveslaneandlana 09-20-2011 09:59 PM

Once she get's some TLC she is going to be gorgeous!!!(:

As for horse feed when we have horses we need to bulk up we use Nutrena Triumph Sweet Feed. It seems to bulk up the horses very fast if you feed them enough and most horses love it!

Good luck!

waresbear 09-20-2011 10:04 PM

I think there's an Arab in the woodpile there. My advice would be to worm with ivermectin so any parasite issue is addressed. Then good pasture and hay. A high protein extruded feed for her age/weight. Salt block of course & I really like giving beet pulp to put an extra bloom on them. Soak it over night and 3:1 ratio water to beetpulp.

Jacksmama 09-20-2011 10:11 PM

Thank you, I think she ishas a huge amount of potential, just needs some attention and lots of groceries! We are giving her free choice hay and grain twice a day, as well as a vitamin and mineral supplement. I don't want to go crazy with all kinds of weight gainers and stuff until we talk to the vet. Bf was a little unsure but I spent some time messing with her and told him that she has a wonderful demeanor and once she is back in shape she will probably be exactly what we were looking for. She has a few conforfational faults, cow shocked for sure. It almost looks like she is slightly sway backed but she has NO muscle along her top line so it's a little tough to tell for sure as of yet. Her mane has been rubbed off on something and she has a few minor scratches on her legs, apparently from briars. BY her teeth ahe ia between 13 and 16 years old, looks like a little over 15hh, just a toich tallee than my gelding. Her feet look pretty worn down but in decent shape. She is very calm and sweet, even after such a traumatic few days being moved twice. She definitely pulls at my heart strings lol
Posted via Mobile Device

centrestableswendy 09-20-2011 10:15 PM

My rescue girl was in far worse shape than that 7 months ago. Main thing is free choice hay(good quality), and gradually work her up to turnout as much as possible. As far as grain, there are several good ones out there. Equine Senior, Legends, Strategy, or Ultium are great, and mixed with a sweet feed(Omolene 200) and rice bran it's a great mix. My girl has gained about 400 pounds in 7 months, but still has about 100-150 to go. She gets 3qts of Legends, 2qts of rice bran, and 1qt of Strategy both am and pm. She will eventually be on 3qts Strategy/3qts rice bran, but we are weaning her over as we just switched barns. Don't do it too fast, or you end up with even more serious problems. A good worming never hurts either. Thank you for rescuing her. She looks like a sweet soul, and is very pretty. Can't wait to see pictures of her progress!

Jacksmama 09-20-2011 10:21 PM

Oh we wormed her immediately, and will do so again in a few weeks. There is a salt block in the field. . Thanks Kaylee, I will look into that feed. I was wondering if there is some Arab there, it makes it a little harder to guess when they are skin and bones lol. I am pretty sure she needs floated too, she drops a lot of grain when she is eating but both of the geldings are due for it so we will have them all done at once.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jacksmama 09-20-2011 10:36 PM

Wow Wendy she must have been in terrible shape! I am glad she is making such good progress for you! Ihave a very good feeling that she is going to blossom onto quite a stunner:) I have a question regarding color too, obviously she is gray, but my knowledge of gray is limited. It's not obvious in the pics but I am assuming she is whats called flea bitten. She has little light chestnut flecks, is that an indicator that she chestnut before she grayed out?

tinyliny 09-20-2011 10:44 PM

I saw Arab immediately. She might be an Anglo Arab (arab/thbd) with no QH at all. Her back and hip area look a bit odd and the way she stands camped under might indicate the need to be seen by a chiropractor. But , that can wait . . .