The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   your own style of training vs. their own style (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/your-own-style-training-vs-their-98497/)

horsenaround123 09-20-2011 06:00 PM

your own style of training vs. their own style

Hello fellow horsey people! I was taking lessons with a different instructor and just resently switched. also resently i have been creating my own style of training, meaning i have my own way of doing things and i like it because it works for me. however, when taking a lesson with either of the two trainers, i feel like i HAVE TO ride THEIR way, even though we're training MY horse... should i tell my teacher i just want to be steered from trouble, and sometimes i like doing things my way. or do i just deal? I understand everyone has their own way of doing things which is fine with me, but is that ok during lessons? (if this makes ANY sense, all advice would be appreciated! :)

pintophile 09-20-2011 06:42 PM

Taking lessons is a great way of getting a different perspective. Even the most experienced rider can benefit from input and a different opinion.

If you don't like your instructor's style, then either stop taking lessons and/or find an instructor who does suit you. If you are really clashing with a certain trainer's style, then stop using them.

If what your instructor is telling you is dangerous, then absolutely say something. Otherwise, I would mostly just stay quiet and accept their advice. If you are really baffled by or dislike something, maybe ask them what their reasoning is and could they explain exactly what you should hope to achieve etc. However, listen to what they have to say. It won't kill you to listen and if you don't like their style, you don't have to use it later on. But most instructors will have at least something to offer you, and maybe it's something you can incorporate into your own personal style of training.

Creating your own style of training is great, but it will do you no favours to immediately cast off anyone else's opinion just because they have a different "style". The more trainers you observe and learn from, the more diverse and enriched your own knowledge and style will become.

tinyliny 09-20-2011 10:09 PM

If you decide that you can do something in a way that is more effective than your trainer's way, then if you can explain and demonstrate that it is indeed more successful, then it carries weight. If you "think" it's better, but cannot either explain why or demonstrate, then maybe you are just fooling yourself.

However, if you dislike the way your teacher teaches, why waster her and your time. For me, having an instructor who's philosophy is fairly close to mine is important. But I like that it's not the same, because I NEED someone with eyes different from mine to show me things that I am blind to.

Darrin 09-20-2011 11:20 PM

My take is do what they ask, ask a lot questions and learn.

Everyone has a different way of doing things, sometimes they will work for you and sometimes they wont. By trying what they ask, you will find out if their way works for you or not. If it does, it becomes your way. If it doesn't, it stays their way but still useful to file away because it might not work now but might latter as you learn more or change horses. Now I'm confused, hope you're not.

Prinella 09-21-2011 10:25 AM

I would shownyour instructor how you've been handling things and see what their take is. They may see it as an interesting technique or they may know of an issue with it. Any instructor not willing to see how you've been doing things would worry me.

SorrelHorse 09-21-2011 01:21 PM

Everyone can learn something from everyone.

Even the stupidest people have something to teach you.

No trainer, and no person, is an omniscient horseman nor rider. In my opinion, the best trainer is going to be someone who can take bits and pieces from every style and be able to adapt to each horse and rider.

For example, my little reining filly HATES it when you get after her for doing something bad. You have to ASK her permission for everything and correct it gently. I have gotten myself chewed out for not punishing her harshly for some of the things she does, but when I do she gets way more upset and gets worse. When I correct her with a lot of gentle asking she is much more pleasant and does better. She responds to "Natural Horsemanship" better than any horse I have ever seen.

While my Anglo Arab gelding, he is a dipstick. I have to use the crop, over and under, spur, and really, REALLY get after him. Natural horsemanship does NOT work with him and I have gotten enough respect by thumping on him some, and he does a wonderful job catching on very quickly.

I have seen barrel horses who are leaking out of their turns respond differantly to differant techniques. Another example,

My gelding would always leak out on the backside. To correct this I just made him turn it until he came out clean. Never had a problem again since we started doing it. HOWEVER, on my new barrel prospect, I have to stop and spin her towards the barrel to emphasize shoulder control. The gelding I tried spinning on too and he never got better, but the filly will get the message almost instantly.

Eveyr horse is unique and so is every rider. If you have honest, proven reason behind your method then I say go for it. If it works for you and your horse, then do it. But if you are paying to take lessons, I would take the trainers advice. Otherwise you are just wasting your money for their training when you have something yourself that works better.

Of course, just stopping and explaining your way might work too. A good trainer will explain everything to you. After you are informed on both methods for training the same thing, pick one. But just one piece of bad information does not mean the whole technique is bad. Jut like a basket of fruit - Just because one apple is rotten, doesn't mean they all are! Everyone has something to contribute.