The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Do I have the right to complain? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/do-i-have-right-complain-98516/)

BornToRun 09-20-2011 09:54 PM

Do I have the right to complain?
 
The people who live beside our paddocks have these dogs, two of them. I think they're the same breed? Not sure though. But anyways, they are always outside, which wouldn't bother me at all, except whenever I go out and ride, they run alongside me and the horses, barking and snarling, the hair raises up on their backs. And the faster we go, (walk, trot, canter, gallop) the more aggressive they get. It's always just been annoying, and honestly a little frightening, but tonight, when I was riding they came up under the fence and double teamed me and my gelding. My gelding is a 14 hand crossbred pony of questionable background, and they came at us, barking and snarling, like they do over on their side of the fence, but this time they were on our side, snapping at my pony's legs. I put on my big girl pants either way, and charged at them with Ben until they decided to go back to their side. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but I am pretty mad, do I have the right to complain about it?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-20-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1179756)
The people who live beside our paddocks have these dogs, two of them. I think they're the same breed? Not sure though. But anyways, they are always outside, which wouldn't bother me at all, except whenever I go out and ride, they run alongside me and the horses, barking and snarling, the hair raises up on their backs. And the faster we go, (walk, trot, canter, gallop) the more aggressive they get. It's always just been annoying, and honestly a little frightening, but tonight, when I was riding they came up under the fence and double teamed me and my gelding. My gelding is a 14 hand crossbred pony of questionable background, and they came at us, barking and snarling, like they do over on their side of the fence, but this time they were on our side, snapping at my pony's legs. I put on my big girl pants either way, and charged at them with Ben until they decided to go back to their side. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but I am pretty mad, do I have the right to complain about it?

Yes you have the right to complain. AND you have the right to ride those dogs down into the dirt. You did exactly the right thing by turning around and riding at them but if necessary I'd ride them right back onto their property and make it clear to the owners that if they persist in letting their dogs attack you, you WILL ride your horse right over the top of them if necessary. I don't know how old you are, but I would be carrying a loaded hand gun for the next incident.

BornToRun 09-20-2011 10:02 PM

Haha, thank you, I'll let them know if it happens again. Um, a few years from legally carrying a hand gun with me, but I can definitely put my steal toed shoe to them!

Dresden 09-20-2011 10:26 PM

Yes you have the right to complain. I'm a big animal lover and all but I wouldn't hesitate to hurt a dog that was attacking me or mine and it sounds like these dogs could have hurt you or your horse. Did they go under the fence? Or can you tell how they got to your side? Is there any easy way to block whatever route they used if the conversation with the neighbor isn't successful? We had to run chicken wire along the bottom of one of our fences(years ago) because the neighbors little yapper would come under and attack my dogs. Neighbor just brushed it off with a "he's friendly" so it was easier and safer to just do what I could to eliminate the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-20-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1179765)
Haha, thank you, I'll let them know if it happens again. Um, a few years from legally carrying a hand gun with me, but I can definitely put my steal toed shoe to them!

LOL, your horses steel shod toe is even more effective and I've found that after I've faced down the neighborhood dingos a time or two by having my horse run them back home (with me screaming and yelling and growling), they generally give up once they figure out that the horse WILL in fact chase them. It's actually quite comical to chase them right up onto their own porch with your horses front feet up on the first step, the look on the dog's owner's face is really worth the price of admission. They're usually completely floored. :lol:

Ladytrails 09-20-2011 10:49 PM

I've never gone up to the porch before LOL but I definitely will run the little rascals back into their own yards and driveways. I also yell at the dog, "go home" in a loud gruff voice (horse is used to it by now). Actually, teaching my horses to take the offensive has really helped their confidence in tackling new obstacles or de-spooking. One day the neighbor's horned goat ducked under the fence and came after us; Windy started to be prancy (never had gotten a good look at that goat before) and we turned around and chased it back under the fence. After that, she almost acts like she wants to chase critters that are looking at her.

BornToRun 09-20-2011 10:51 PM

:D Getting to the front porch may be the hard part! I could either jump the fence, or run up the highway. I think I may just run them back to their own yard, and tell the owners to deal with them, or I will.

Poco1220 09-21-2011 01:48 AM

As long as you pay careful attention to the wind direction ten pepper spray is an option as well. When they come over quickly dismount and give them a good spray, just make sure you and your horse don't get caught in it's spray or down wind!
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 09-21-2011 07:07 AM

SSS is the best solution for this situation...Shoot Shovel and Shut Up

Joe4d 09-21-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 1179932)
SSS is the best solution for this situation...Shoot Shovel and Shut Up

Never heard it put that way but saddly for the dogs in question it is usually the truth.
Law generally does nothing.
Owners tend to not see any problem with their precious angels and nothing will change their minds or get them to fix it.
You can catch the dogs and then charge a $50 dollar fee to get them back. If they dont pay take them to the pound, where the pound will probably charge more to release them. but then that leads to a tit for tat neighbor feud.
You can catch the dogs and call animal control to come get them. However many places animal control is some politicians ignorant lazy relative that wont do anything.
Once the dogs cross the property line you have the right in most states to defend your self or your livestock.
SSS


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0