The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Trotting bareback? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/trotting-bareback-98530/)

apachewhitesox 09-21-2011 04:36 AM

Trotting bareback?

Ok I am positive I have seen a previous thread with this in there but I just can't seem to find it.

I have been having trouble trotting bareback. I can trot on pepper who is really fast but not real bouncy. However on Sammy I can do it fine when he jogs slowly or does a balanced good working trot (if that makes sense). But as soon as he really speeds up it gets too bouncy and I just start slipping. It is good in a way that he does it but the moment I lose my balance sam stops so I don't get the chance to recover while riding. I do try to encourage him forward unless I really feel like I can't save myself while he is moving. I also don't want to try on Apache because he has a super bouncy trot it is just about impossible to sit to but not uncomfortable. But it is much slower then sams so should I have a go on a much bouncier but slower horse? Would that help?

Other then riding more to practice which I do are there any other tips on how to keep my balance? Thanks

corporate pride 09-21-2011 04:44 AM

rise trot! lol problem solved

apachewhitesox 09-21-2011 05:01 AM

Haha yes I have been trying that I just cant seem to keep it up for long. I find it easier to sit bareback then rise. I will definitely trying rising more though.

corporate pride 09-21-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 1179886)
Haha yes I have been trying that I just cant seem to keep it up for long. I find it easier to sit bareback then rise. I will definitely trying rising more though.

think...almost bikini season! if you ride down the beach bareback, don't wanna look like a total twit :p
think of the exercise!!! so sit for a bit then start to rise for a bit then sit, don't stiffen your thighs that's when you really bounce!

RedTree 09-21-2011 06:04 AM

I find you just have to force all your weight into your feet, but I'm like you sort of, I can sit really well to Buzz slow trot and a nce working trot but as soon as he gets faster I have to really think about it and focus on putting all my weight down, grab on to some mane if you have to :P

Quick question, how do you rise bareback?
Is it just when you grip with your thighs to lift your self up?

apachewhitesox 09-21-2011 06:20 AM

haha that is a good thought corporate pride.

That is what I do buzz just try to sink all my weight into my heels it really helps. When I rise bareback I don't rise as such I more stop sitting it (if that makes sense) and let the horse bounce me up then I control myself to come down softly. I hope that made some sort of sense I am bad at explaining things.

Saddlebag 09-21-2011 05:14 PM

Move your legs forward, lean back and curl your pelvis until you think you are sitting on your back pockets. Grab a little bit of mane and go. If your back is relaxed your lower back will act like a shock absorber. The faster the horse trots the easier it is to sit. The working trot is the tougher one. We used to have trotting races when riding bareback. The horses were tb's and boy could they go.

Endiku 09-21-2011 05:26 PM

I actually had more trouble learning to canter bareback than trot...I don't know how many times I fell off because I couldn't maintain my seat.

What I find helps when trotting (especially with an extra bouncy mount) is rolling your shoulders back a tad, sitting nice and straight, and opening up your hips and stomache to absorb the horse's movement. Let your hips roll with the horse and your stomache act as shocks. Sit deep and push your weight down to your core. Carry as little of yourself in your upper body as possible. Grip with your thighs, not your knees, and allow everything below the knee just sort of 'hang.' you'll develope position later on. If need be, invest in a neck strap and grab that as well as a hunk of mane (or if your horse's mane is too short, as mine's is, just the strap).

You might want to try trotting bareback in a roundpen a few times, or better yet- on a lungeline. That way someone else can worry about your horse and you can worry about you.

apachewhitesox 09-21-2011 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the other tips. That is my other problem too I don't have anything like a round pen and I don't have anyone whho can lunge the horse for me. It would be a great help if I did.

apachewhitesox 09-22-2011 05:16 AM

Ok I had another go this afternoon and i think i was doing it right lol. now my stomach and inner thighs a really sore and i have a riding lesson tomorrow. I still had a little trouble because he kept changing pace/ direction or just stopping all together. According to him it was dinner time hehe. I did a fair bit of rising trot and really concentrated on sinking my waeight into my heels.