The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Needing a comfirmation critique on a possible buy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/needing-comfirmation-critique-possible-buy-98554/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-21-2011 01:20 PM

Needing a comfirmation critique on a possible buy

4 Attachment(s)
This is Twisted Candy Man, a horse my frined is looking into buying as a team roping horse. He is a four yar old paint, fifteen hands. He worked at a livestock auction place pushing cattle, he has had a rope thrown off of him and he's worked on a ranch. Good stamina, so what do you think about his confo? Thanks , by the way he knows we are posting pics for a crit on here :) thanks!

Corporal 09-21-2011 01:45 PM

I think he looks balanced enough. I really wish that QH breeders would stop breeding a straight leg! Your pictures don't indicate that he likes people much. Do you have any more to post that show this? Can't really tell, but I'm not sure about his attitude. Back to his build, nice back, nice round quarters, looks like he could crouch down on his quarters and do a good roll back.

Ridehorses99 09-21-2011 04:30 PM

He looks a little light muscled on the back end for a roping horse, but that may just be because he's not in condition. He has a short, thick neck, but that shouldn't be a hinderance for what you would use him for.

dee 09-21-2011 05:54 PM

He probably goes back to Candy's Old Man, just like our Candy's Dixie Boy (barn name: Scooter) does. Candy's Old Man was halter bred, hence the posty legs. Both your guy and mine have those long pasterns, and are pretty much built just alike.

Scooter is a real sweet heart. Couldn't ask for a better temperment. We haven't done much with him, which is a shame, but are hoping to send him to the trainer's come spring. He was broke to ride a few years ago, but because he's such a big guy, and was...at the time... a stallion, daughter and her hubby were a little afraid of him, and he took advantage of it.

If they have the same temperment, he will make you a nice using horse...

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-21-2011 06:46 PM

Thanks for the responses, from the picture he seems like he is fidgety being tied. But fixable, he's a friend of our's and is selling him for a thousand. This weekend we may go see him, mabye ride. I'm going with him because he's a beginner and I suppose I would be intermediate as far as riding, but handling I do know more about. He has never free ridden a day in his life lol. I plan to ask them to leave him out so we can wach him be caught and tied and tackex up and all thay. And about his butt not being in shape, I noticed that but that can be fixed with some up hill riding and all :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 09-23-2011 08:18 AM

A four year old isn't going to be suitable for a beginner.

BarrelracingArabian 09-23-2011 09:45 AM

If your friend is a beginner I deffinitely do not agree with you guys looking at this particular horse. He seems slightly nervous just being tied up. I would suggest looking for a good middle aged been there rope horse that hasn't been to heavily worked on roping that this guy can learn on

Elana 09-23-2011 10:24 AM

In confOrmation ;) he is a bit long in the back and a bit straight behind. I would not think he would be a good heading horse (too light and not handy enough). He might heel OK.

A four year old is typically too young and inexperienced for a beginning rider. It would be far better to get a horse that is mostly retired from competition but who can still work to learn on. I have seen good seasoned horses in their teens being used as horses for learning.

Hennessy 09-23-2011 10:31 AM

Idk. I got my horse when he was only almost a year old and to be quite honest, I think it depends on the horse's actual demeanor whether or not her friend will be able to 'handle' the horse itself. I mean, if it's got a gentle and willing nature to it, yeah, he'll be fine, young or not. But if it's got attitude and loves to put up a fight, then perhaps he's out of his league. Don't let age fool ya, look for personality and how willing they are to work with you. I know some horses that are in their twenties and still a pain in the butt to deal with. Age is a number, personality is what makes up a horse.

Another thing is that the more you work with the horse and bond with it, and respect it, the more willing the animal will be to do as you ask. Then of course, I'm sure most horse owners know such things. I just hope your friend bears patience and a lot of love because for a first time horse owner, it's not always easy.

Yet at the same time, the horse itself has been trained and worked, so I think your friend should do just fine, if he can work with whatever kinks there are with the horse and adapt. Again.. Personality is what makes the horse buyable or not.

atomic 09-23-2011 12:34 PM

Personality is one factor to consider. Even the "sweetest" horse will not know how to act if someone knowledgeable doesn't set up boundaries and teach him what is acceptable. Personality can majorly help or detriment the training process, but in no way substitute. I have seen some very "broke" young horses that inexperienced riders could safely ride, however they were the exception, not the normal, and had already gone through proficient training. That being said, I don't see why someone who has never even properly ridden a horse would decide to not only buy one... But buy a young roping horse. Why don't you suggest riding lessons, or even a free lease to an older horse to see if your friend is even really serious about commitment to a horse? It just worries me that he's never even ridden before on his own and has already decided on a discipline and on buying.
Posted via Mobile Device