The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Jumping Saddle- Deep Seat vs Shallow Seat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/jumping-saddle-deep-seat-vs-shallow-98565/)

petitepyromaniac 09-21-2011 04:03 PM

Jumping Saddle- Deep Seat vs Shallow Seat

Which do you prefer for jumping?

The reason I ask is, I want something that's going to lock me into place as much as possible. However, there's been a couple times I've jumped in a deep seated saddle, and occasionally the cantle knocks me in the butt over a jump, which in turn knocks me forward where I land on the horses neck. Not fun for either of us!

Does anyone else have that problem?! To me a shallow seated jumping saddle seems more secure for this reason. Or maybe I'm the only one this happens to, and all it means is that I'm really horrible at jumping :-P

Anyway, what is your favorite, and why?

MyBoyPuck 09-21-2011 09:30 PM

When I first got back into jumping, I would have said deep seat in a second. Now that I'm up to speed, I prefer a more shallow seat. If I'm going over a cross country fence and need to get into the "back seat" the cantle in a deep seat saddle would get in the way.

lubylol 09-21-2011 09:44 PM

I'm not sure what my seat is so I can't really tell from experience. But the more logical choice IMO would be a shallow seat because then you don't have to throw yourself into a 2point as much since you'll be higher up than in a deep seat...does that make sense haha?

VelvetsAB 09-21-2011 09:46 PM

It would depend on each saddle individually, plus the rider.

This is one of those questions you have to figure out for yourself, since everyone has different requirements out of their saddle, sit a bit differently, have different leg lengths etc.

kitten_Val 09-22-2011 07:55 AM

First of all, I'm a beginner in jumping. :-) But trying different saddles I have to say I'm OK with the shallow one as long as it's "grippy". Some are deep, but you still slide there.