The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What shampoo and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-shampoo-why-98577/)

Idlepastures 09-21-2011 05:40 PM

What shampoo and why?

I love hearing why people love the products they use.

So tell me about what shampoo you use, and why? Why does it work the best for you/your horse? What shampoos do you dislike? Why is that?

(Sorry, I'm full of questions today.)

I like to the use Alto Vistas red shampoo on my lease gelding. Its really makes his coat super shiney and very red. But for the other horses I really like the Vetolin shampoo. It seems to really work for my paint espically.

I tried the shapleys hi-shine shampoo, and it just didn't do a good job :(

What are you likes/dislikes?

DejaVu 09-21-2011 05:58 PM

I really like Superpoo made by Absorbine, and Eqyss medicated shampoo.
He gets really nice and soft with the Superpoo. He just looks and feels clean after a bath in that. The Eqyss Microtek is really nice on his coat when he doesn't need a major deep clean.

For tails, I like the human Tresseme naturals, and any regular conditioner.

I've pretty much always used those, so I don't have anything that I don't like that I can think of.

Allison Finch 09-21-2011 06:04 PM

I use cheap Suave shampoo and conditioner from the store. It works really well, and rinses out easily. If it is good enough for my hair, it is good enough for my horse's. AND, it is much cheaper than "horse" shampoo.

Just stay away from apple flavored....you may come back to a bald horse, if he has pasture buddies!!!

kayleeloveslaneandlana 09-21-2011 07:26 PM

I use Quic Silver for any of the grey horses I ride, and Quic Color for any colors! haha. It really brings out the colors and then I just spray some Cowboy magic super body shine on once the horse drys!

waresbear 09-21-2011 10:36 PM

I always have bought Superpoo for decades. Lately I have been lucking out winning shampoos & conditioners or getting samples with entry packets at shows. I have a few bottles of mane & tail, some neat smelling menthol shampoo (sorry can't remember the name), and am just finishing up a nice smelling bottle of rio vista (sp?). I buy absorbine superpoo because it's a habit, it's the first actual "horse" shampoo I ever purchased about a hundred years ago. The smell reminds me of my youth (so does Brut cologne but that's a different story, different forum) and it's non-tearing, I got a glob of it in my eye once, no stinging.

wetrain17 09-22-2011 03:52 PM

I buy the gallon sized shampoo and conditioner from a beauty supply store

MHFoundation Quarters 09-22-2011 05:04 PM

I've used Orvus for as long as I can remember. Comes in a big container, lasts forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Idlepastures 09-22-2011 11:20 PM

Ive heard alot about superpoo. I bought some stuff today for frequent bathing. So we will see!
Posted via Mobile Device

nicole25 09-23-2011 12:15 AM

Sauve shampoo and conditioner...its cheap and i love all of the different "flavors" Beau may only smell good for an hour, but at least it is better then him stinking. I like coconut and fairy berry strawberry or something like that. I also use the detangler too if I don't want to use expensive cowboy magic everyday.

Sunny 09-23-2011 12:27 AM

I just use the traditional Mane N Tail. It isn't cheap, but I don't bathe too often so it lasts me forever.
Posted via Mobile Device