The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Eventing trainers? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/eventing-trainers-98607/)

kitten_Val 09-21-2011 11:38 PM

Eventing trainers?

As dumb as it sounds I can't find a good eventing trainer in area. Keep looking for several weeks and everyone is too far or doesn't sound like a trainer, who can deal with challenging student/horse. I'm getting to the point of giving up...
:(

Sorry for the rant....

eventerdrew 09-22-2011 03:48 PM

Mogie Bearden-Muller is in MD. Not sure how far she is from you, but I've heard stellar things about her.

Gretchen and Stephanie Butts are also in MD

here's a full list of ICP Certified instructors. By all means, if they are closer, go for someone who is not ICP Certified! But this is just a comprehensive list of those who are!

USEA - Directory of Certified Eventing Instructors by Level

kitten_Val 09-23-2011 10:01 AM

Oh, cool! Thanks for the link, Drew!

I don't know the first person, but I did contact Gretchen - waiting on reply from her. Waredaca is quite respected place around here.

Strange 09-29-2011 10:07 AM

Mooooogie!

She's my coach. Seriously, my learning curve has been vertical. I can't believe how much I've improved in the past 9 months. I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but it would so, so be worth it. She's absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough good things about her.

kitten_Val 09-29-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 1186903)
Mooooogie!

She's my coach. Seriously, my learning curve has been vertical. I can't believe how much I've improved in the past 9 months. I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but it would so, so be worth it. She's absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough good things about her.

Strange, you are one heck too far! Or I'd contact you directly (I do remember you event :D ).

BTW, how did clinic in Playland go (if you went there, of course)?

And just an update: I went to one of other ladies mentioned yesterday (she's very nice), and have lesson with other one today (same place). To see what schedule I can work out with either (as my week is crazy as well as both of them).

My Beau 09-29-2011 06:02 PM

Have you tried Water's Edge Farm? I believe it's in Sykesville... heard good things about it a few years ago when I knew people boarding there. The main trainer may have left, but I'm pretty sure the farm owner is ICP certified, too.

I think I remember you mentioning that you're on the boarded of Howard & Carroll counties - how far is Full Moon Farm from you?

If I think of any others, I'll post again. But definitely hope to hear back from Gretchen - I've had XC lessons with her before and she's wonderful!

Strange 09-29-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1186909)
Strange, you are one heck too far! Or I'd contact you directly (I do remember you event :D ).

BTW, how did clinic in Playland go (if you went there, of course)?

And just an update: I went to one of other ladies mentioned yesterday (she's very nice), and have lesson with other one today (same place). To see what schedule I can work out with either (as my week is crazy as well as both of them).

LOL yeah I think we've discussed how far away I am.

The clinic was wonderful! He gave me some good little things to work on for the flatwork and really stressed honing my eye in the jumping to make me as accurate as possible. He absolutely loves the horse I was riding. Like, he said if Ace was 15 years younger he would try to buy him lol. He was like "This horse could win medals! He's so fancy and look at him jump!" blah blah blah, he wouldn't shut up. It almost got annoying, lol. But yeah I really enjoyed it. I ended up riding with him again about a week and a half afterwards when he came to give Mogie a private lesson at our place. Kayla and I took a lesson with him again.

kitten_Val 09-30-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Beau (Post 1187327)
Have you tried Water's Edge Farm? I believe it's in Sykesville... heard good things about it a few years ago when I knew people boarding there. The main trainer may have left, but I'm pretty sure the farm owner is ICP certified, too.

I think I remember you mentioning that you're on the boarded of Howard & Carroll counties - how far is Full Moon Farm from you?

If I think of any others, I'll post again. But definitely hope to hear back from Gretchen - I've had XC lessons with her before and she's wonderful!

I know Water's Edge. I tried to contact them while back several times and never heard back. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I've heard not so good things about Full Moon (in fact to the point of being ridiculous). Don't want to go into details, but I doubt I ever go there.

Yes, I took lesson wtih Gretchen yesterday - she's great! Very much like my dressage trainer: goes into details and explanation rather than just tell me "do this" or "jump this". She's SUPER busy person though - I really hope she'll have some time for my lessons. Her daughter is very nice too - just different style of teaching. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the place: not a typical lesson barn.

kitten_Val 09-30-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 1187520)
The clinic was wonderful! He gave me some good little things to work on for the flatwork and really stressed honing my eye in the jumping to make me as accurate as possible. He absolutely loves the horse I was riding. Like, he said if Ace was 15 years younger he would try to buy him lol. He was like "This horse could win medals! He's so fancy and look at him jump!" blah blah blah, he wouldn't shut up. It almost got annoying, lol. But yeah I really enjoyed it. I ended up riding with him again about a week and a half afterwards when he came to give Mogie a private lesson at our place. Kayla and I took a lesson with him again.

Cool! I really like when trainer is so encouraging to the students (too many of them are not, unfortunately). Lucky you! :)

Strange 09-30-2011 10:24 PM

Definitely.

He really stressed that we all have the potential to be the best rider out there, but it all comes down to who learns how to deal with the pressure (of a show/competition) the best and who can consistently deliver, which I definitely agree with. I really liked his perspective.