The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Gypsy Cobs :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/gypsy-cobs-98617/)

HorseySam 09-22-2011 04:52 AM

Gypsy Cobs :)

I'm in love with gypsy cobs :')
They're so beautiful, gorgeous and pretty!!

What do you all think? xD

Buzzby 09-22-2011 05:47 PM

Horrible horrible horrible, 10 a penny pykey ponies, have no talent for anything what so ever.

Ink 09-22-2011 05:58 PM

I think they're pretty to look at with all that hair and pretty colors. Unfortunately here people seem to think their worth their weight in gold. Doesn't matter if the thugs wild as a march hare and never been trained to do any thing. It still gets a 15,000 (or often times more) price tag slapped on it.

So I think they're cute but there's no way I'd fork out the money to buy one.
Posted via Mobile Device

bjb 09-22-2011 06:02 PM

I completly disagree with Buzzby!!!
Gypsys excel at driving. They are also good for dressage, pleasure riding, and children's mounts.
They are extremly mild and calm. Not to mention super pretty
I LOVE them :)
Posted via Mobile Device

LadynDibs 09-22-2011 06:03 PM

all horses are beautiful, just in differant ways

FeatheredFeet 09-22-2011 11:44 PM

Welcome HorseySam. You are very lucky to live near Sid Harker, who has some of the best Gypsies in the UK. He and his family all breed Gypsies. My daughter has a beautiful mare from him.

Don't listen to Buzzby and Ink. They are I'm afraid, typical of those who jump on forums and spout off about that which they know little.

Lizzie

Ink 09-23-2011 12:21 AM

Excuse me, but I live in the states and over here they are rediculously overpriced. Having recently been in the market to buy a horse I've run across several ads for them. Not one was priced under 10,000. And nearly none of them had any training put on them.

I said I like the look of them. I've got a thing for short chunky horses anyway, but in my humble opinion, not quite worth the huge price tag. Again I am merely stating my opinion, which I have formed from personal experience. Sorry, but I don't see how this is "spounting off about which I know little".
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: oh and FYI, thug was a type-o my auto correct got me, it was supposed to be thing if that makes any difference :-)

myhorsesonador 09-23-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink (Post 1181863)
Excuse me, but I live in the states and over here they are rediculously overpriced. Having recently been in the market to buy a horse I've run across several ads for them. Not one was priced under 10,000. And nearly none of them had any training put on them.

I said I like the look of them. I've got a thing for short chunky horses anyway, but in my humble opinion, not quite worth the huge price tag. Again I am merely stating my opinion, which I have formed from personal experience. Sorry, but I don't see how this is "spounting off about which I know little".
Posted via Mobile Device

I have to agree.

I know a filly, mean as they come. is around 13hh and they paid $30,000 for the little witch just because she has "bloodlines"

sommsama09 09-23-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: oh and FYI, thug was a type my auto correct got me, it was supposed to be thing if that makes any difference :-)

I agree with you! Everyone has a opinion and if you dont want to hear it dont ask for them XD Chunkys all tha way <3

FeatheredFeet 09-23-2011 03:40 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: oh and FYI, thug was a type-o my auto correct got me, it was supposed to be thing if that makes any difference :-)

I cannot imagine where you have looked. There are many about for $3,000 up and sometimes less. Certainly one with training will be more. By comparison in numbers, more Gypsy Horse owners train and show their horses, than most other breeds in the US. Are there some overpriced? Of course. Just like in other breeds. We have been looking at quality Minis and the ones we like are priced well over what most ask for GHs. Several Minis in the last years, have sold for $25,000 up to $100,000. And that for a few which were over 25 years old. One was a 30 year old stallion. And Minis cannot even be ridden. I see Warmbloods and other breeds constantly, for enormous sums. Many are youngsters with no training.

It does always seem odd to me though, that people constantly pick on Gypsy Horses to grumble about price. I do see Gypsies which I consider to be overpriced, just as in any breed. Smart buyers will do their homework and not look at just those who seem to have enormous advertising budgets and ask a lot for their horses. They will find the small breeder with the same bloodlines and purchase at half the price.

Almost all of us train our horses to do something. They take to the saddle and cart pretty easily and Gypsies make solid jumpers. There are several now taking part in some rodeo events and even the Cowboy Race. For years before the breed was known in the US, the Germans have used them in dressage. Several top dressage Gypsies have found their way to the US from Germany.

I really must update this page, but it shows a few Gypsies and what their owners do with them.

Question Most Often Asked

Lizzie