The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   detanger and softener for long haired horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/detanger-softener-long-haired-horses-98675/)

whitefilly 09-22-2011 07:37 PM

detanger and softener for long haired horses

Hi,

My cob has a very long mane, it gets a bit brittle in the winter, but also it gets in huge tangles and it takes ages to groom out. Which means i break to many ends and it's stopped growing.
I've trimmed it but could anyone give me a really good mane and tail detangler and softener?
Also i've heard about this MTG oil to help a horses mane grow longer, some people say it's good and works but others don't think it does.

Thanks
P.S i live in the UK so i need things i can get over here thank you

Endiku 09-22-2011 08:22 PM

I swear by Cowboy Magic ;) best detangler I've ever used on any horse. My filly has an insanely thick mane that falls to her shoulder, and a tail that drags on the ground (at three years old, no less!) and it tangles unbelievably easily. With that stuff though, I can usually work it all out with my hands and not break a single hair ^^

ETS: not sure if you can get it in the UK though...worth a look!

Sahara 09-22-2011 11:10 PM

You could try keeping her mane braided while she is out in the pasture. The product that I use is an oil conditioning sheen. It is marketed for African American hair types, but works amazingly well on horse manes and tails. I don't know what stores you have in the UK, but it would be at drugstores, discount stores, supermarkets, etc. It is much cheaper than products marketed specifically for horses. Comes in an aerosol can.

cakemom 09-25-2011 12:45 AM

We use coconut oil and ethnic hair care products.
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 09-25-2011 08:47 AM

Some one here mentioned Pink (ethnic product) and we bought both the conditioner and spray. They work great!

bubbleslove 09-25-2011 12:24 PM

I shampoo with regular stuff, and condition with Pantene Pro V. While the conditioner is in, I comb it through, starting at the ends and working my way up. I keep mine tied while they dry, and when it's still a little damp, I comb through some sort of ethnic hair product (can't remember the brand name) - it's an oil though. After that, I put in about 6-10 braids, and they're good to go. Some wrap the braids with vettrap, but I've heard that that can sometimes break the hair as well, so I don't bother.

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 09-25-2011 06:26 PM

sorry i am trying to delete this and am having trouble

Endiku 09-25-2011 08:25 PM

Why would you want to delete it?

You cannot delete a HF post. If you leave it and don't comment though, it will stop coming up under 'new' posts, and it will die out.

QOS 09-28-2011 10:25 AM

Heather, I bet Red smells delicious!!! Ummmm Coconut!!

.Delete. 09-28-2011 10:28 AM

I love love love Ezall. I use it on my unbrokes. I swear it works magic, smells wonderful and it does amazing things to the hair.
http://img.smartpak.com/product/18306.jpg