The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   How Tall does he look? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-tall-does-he-look-98679/)

jfisher256 09-22-2011 09:22 PM

How Tall does he look?

So the other Thoroughbred Jasper will not be working out. Turns out that after we called the vet, we heard a completely different story. But that's for another thread! So I got an offer yesterday on Flash, the Dutch WB horse. Which was completely random and honestly didn't even think it would happen. Then for some reason I started thinking about his height. But now I'm starting to wonder whether or not he's considered not a horse but a pony. I was told he was 15.1hh and considered a horse (obviously, I know he'd be considered a horse at that height). But then online I saw a message to her on Facebook when she said she was selling her horses that he was 14.3hh and a pony?? Now I don't know what size he is haha. Not that I really care if I get a horse or pony but I'm just curious, I attached a picture that hopefully can help a bit to get an idea? If it helps any, my shoulders are pretty level with his back. Of course I'm not looking for an exact measurement but I would feel silly contacting her to ask about his height..again :-P so I figured I'd come here to see what other members said. I am 5'4" tall currently.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...100_3934-1.jpg

Thanks!

waresbear 09-22-2011 09:29 PM

Hard to say from pictures how tall he is. He looks about 15HH or so, give or take an inch. A pony is 14:1HH & below. A horse is 14:2HH & above.

jfisher256 09-22-2011 09:39 PM

Ahh, I gotcha. Maybe I will ask her again just to be sure haha :P Thank you for your input!

Gidget 09-22-2011 09:40 PM

Technically a pony is 14.2 and under in english terms....
A 14.2 horse is a large,large pony and in the western world it's a small horse..a cow pony.

I would guess 14.3-15 hands...have you sticked him yet?

jfisher256 09-23-2011 04:46 PM

@Gidget - that's around the height I would guess too. I haven't sticked him yet, although I'd like to. This isn't definite but I was just interested in seeing what other members would get out of the picture. Although the picture won't really help much, I figured I'd give it a try! hehe, but if I get him I will stick him, definitely. Thanks for your reply!

Gidget 09-23-2011 06:36 PM

anytime :)

its lbs not miles 09-25-2011 02:56 PM

I've heard about the 14.2 height being used to determine if an equine is a pony or horse. I guess for mixed horse/pony breeds that might be something to consider.
However, you can also find horses that are pony height. e.g. I've seen full blood Arabians that are under 4.2. The daughter of a friend use to ride one. Cute little horse. Just the right size for her. I"ve also seen a Dales pony that exeeded 4.2, but he did not become horse :))

If the equiine is a pony breed, it will be pony even if it reaches over 14.2 (a large pony). If it is a horse breed it will be horse, even if it never gets to 14.2 (a small horse). And of course you have the smaller breeds of horse that are more likely to have offspring that sometimes fall below 14.2 like the Arabians, Mustangs (not uncommon), etc....
Animals, like people, can exceed or fall short of the breed standard. Doesn't change what they are.

Gidget 09-25-2011 03:13 PM

you are correct.

Arabs,no matter what size..they can be in the 13 hand range and although they are pony height they are considered horses.

We have a mustang. She was wild at one time. Have no clue what she has in her but she is 14.2 hands even so she is considered a pony horse?...ahh,now I'm kind of confused,lol.

jfisher256 09-25-2011 03:57 PM

Hmm, I actually never thought to look at it that way! Interesting..

its lbs not miles 09-25-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 1183673)
you are correct.

Arabs,no matter what size..they can be in the 13 hand range and although they are pony height they are considered horses.

We have a mustang. She was wild at one time. Have no clue what she has in her but she is 14.2 hands even so she is considered a pony horse?...ahh,now I'm kind of confused,lol.

Mustangs are a "horse" "breed", like Arabians (without the pedigree :lol:, but we won't start on that), regardless of height. They've also be called an Indian pony in the old days or a cow pony, but they are still horses. In fact the 14.2 isn't used in all parts of the world as the determining height for a pony. I think 14 is the measurement in Australia (but I could be mistaken).
There are other physical differences between a horse and pony. Generally (and bit over simplified) when compared to a horse a pony is shorter, rounder, heavier (by size) with a shorter head. This is a generalization, and there are more things that are taken into consideration.