The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   how tall will she grow? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-tall-will-she-grow-98738/)

tina298 09-23-2011 06:19 PM

how tall will she grow?

1 Attachment(s)
hi everyone :-)
i have a 18 month old filly, i know nothing about her history, she stands at 14hands now, so i thought id ask how tall do you all think she will grow to? :wink:

KatieQ 09-23-2011 06:25 PM

No idea but she's very pretty!

Endiku 09-23-2011 06:59 PM

without knowing about her lineage/breed, etc. Your guess is as good as ours. If she's already 14hh though, I'd say 15hh is definately possible, maybe even a bit bigger. She's cute!

PaintHorseMares 09-23-2011 07:04 PM

The average 18 month old is 94-96% of their mature height. At 14 hands, the guesstimate height would be around 14.3hh.

redape49 09-23-2011 11:02 PM

Looks like a gypsy vanner =p

tempest 09-23-2011 11:30 PM

She's so adorable!

I don't knwo about her height, sorry.

its lbs not miles 09-24-2011 01:19 AM

A reasonably accurate way I was taught by some old timers (people who are or would be 85+ years now) is to measure the distance from the coronet band (top of the hoof) up to the center of the knee (just above the cannon bone).

Every inch's equal to a hand, or a 1 to 4 ratio (one inch = four inches). If the distance was 14.25" you could estimate the horse to reach 14.1 hands.

Not saying it's always 100%, but it has often been pretty close.

DraftyAiresMum 09-24-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its lbs not miles (Post 1182672)
A reasonably accurate way I was taught by some old timers (people who are or would be 85+ years now) is to measure the distance from the coronet band (top of the hoof) up to the center of the knee (just above the cannon bone).

Every inch's equal to a hand, or a 1 to 4 ratio (one inch = four inches). If the distance was 14.25" you could estimate the horse to reach 14.1 hands.

Not saying it's always 100%, but it has often been pretty close.

See, I don't think this works. I tried it on Aires and got between 17.1-18" (bugger kept moving around and trying to see what I was doing, so I had to measure four times and got a different measurement each time). Right now he's right around 15.2-15.3hh (closer to 15.3hh) and two-years-old. Someone said that at two they are 97-98% of their adult height (something like that). So, by the string test, he'll turn out in the 17-18hh range. By the other reckoning (based on him being 97-98% of his adult height), he'll top our at maybe 16.1hh.

Also, I tried the method where you measure with a lead rope from fetlock to elbow, then invert the lead rope and measure from elbow up and wherever the end of the rope falls above the withers is how tall they'll be. By that, again, he'll be around 17hh.

Sorry, not meaning to go OT, but just maybe trying to warn the OP that these methods are often more confusing than they are helpful.

its lbs not miles 09-24-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1182681)
See, I don't think this works. I tried it on Aires and got between 17.1-18" (bugger kept moving around and trying to see what I was doing, so I had to measure four times and got a different measurement each time). Right now he's right around 15.2-15.3hh (closer to 15.3hh) and two-years-old. Someone said that at two they are 97-98% of their adult height (something like that). So, by the string test, he'll turn out in the 17-18hh range. By the other reckoning (based on him being 97-98% of his adult height), he'll top our at maybe 16.1hh.

Also, I tried the method where you measure with a lead rope from fetlock to elbow, then invert the lead rope and measure from elbow up and wherever the end of the rope falls above the withers is how tall they'll be. By that, again, he'll be around 17hh.

Sorry, not meaning to go OT, but just maybe trying to warn the OP that these methods are often more confusing than they are helpful.

Out of 6 horses it's been between 2" off to dead on for predicting the height of those 6. That's always been close enough for me :lol:. Of course I had to wait over 5 years a couple of times for them to finish growing "up". One TWH and one TWH cross.

But as I said, it's not "always 100%". :-) Just been close enough for me so far. In about 2 and 3 years I'll be able to determine it's accuracy rate for 2 more horses.

iridehorses 09-24-2011 05:32 AM

This method has always been pretty accurate: Determine Horse Mature Height

Beautiful filly, BTW. As another member said, looks to have Vanner or Drum in her. Love the feathers.