The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoa wait... I thought we were going for a trailride, not an XC schooling session

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Hidalgo13 
#1 ·
So I'm coming off a bit of a high!!! An old hunter client of mine invited me out for a trailride at her friend's farm. I know the friend used to ride XC but never expected what happened this morning. I have officially ridden some Intermediate fences! *does a little happy but painful dance* She brought out her semi-retired Advanced horse for me to ride and the morning went from a light hack to a full on XC lesson.

Normally I'm all game for jumping anything, but it's different on XC with a horse you've never ridden before and fences that are WAY bigger than you're currently schooling.

I learned something important today. Stay out of my horse's way. Just let him roll on and jump. I fiddle too much (I blame the hunter perfectionist in me) and try to set up every fence perfectly. She forced me to just hold the grab strap half the time till I learned to just stop messing with a good gallop. I have actually galloped fences.... I can say I've really galloped fences. Te-He. And to everyone who said my stirrups were too long. Rejoice in victory, we added holes and I now have homework on becoming comfortable riding like that.

I'm so excited, she said I can come down any time I want to school her fences (just need to give her a heads up so she can bring the babies in) and we can work out a deal so I can ride Sampson (my new knight in shining armor over fences) and develop my confidence on a much more experienced horse. I'm just excited to have someone help me move up. I've felt so stuck lately. Nothing like a belated birthday surprise. And i think we got pictures. I know we got video, now I just have to figure out how to get it off this ancient camera.

Ok... so now I have to go soak and find lots of advil. My butt, back, hands.... heck I think my eyes hurt. LOL sign of a good ride.

Sorry, I know.... long.... but I tried telling my boyfriend, but well.... I got "glad you had fun babe when's lunch?" Men.... *sighs*

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.