The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Opinions on feeding Strategy Professional Formula GX to a weanling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/opinions-feeding-strategy-professional-formula-gx-98807/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-24-2011 05:40 PM

Opinions on feeding Strategy Professional Formula GX to a weanling

So I had some questions on a different post about weanling nutrition, and I came across Ultium Growth...but I just cannot stomach the price of it sadly. So I had plans to buy Strategy Healthy Edge (for my mare) but my feed store doesn't carry it...So I have decided to try Strategy Professional. Do you think it would be suited for my six month old weanling and my nine year old mare too? Here is the Guarenteed Analysis on Purina's website...

CRUDE PROTEINMIN14.00%CRUDE FATMIN6.50%CRUDE FIBERMAX12.50%CALCIUM (CA)MIN1.00%CALCIUM (CA) MAX1.30%PHOSPHORUS (P)MIN0.60%COPPER (CU) MIN80PPMSELENIUM (SE)MIN0.60PPMZINC (ZN) MIN280PPMVITAMIN AMIN3000IU/LBVITAMIN EMIN125IU/LB

I would appreciate the advice for sure, thank you in advance. :)

trailhorserider 09-25-2011 03:11 AM

I'm not a nutritional expert, but I DO feed Strategy GX to my yearling. I used the Ultium Growth when he was a foal/weanling but quit buying it due to the price as well.

So now I am using the Stategy GX and he is blooming, BUT I only give him about a pound of it a day just as a treat and to mix his vitamin/mineral supplement in. So I'm not feeding it according to label directions.

What I do feed him is about 3 flakes of alfalfa a day, 2 flakes of Bermuda (so he pretty much always has something to munch on) and then his pound of Strategy GX and a vitamin/mineral supplement.

If I was feeding the GX according to label directions, the additional supplement would not be needed (and probably isn't anyway) but I basically decided to cut out most of the grain products and just give him a little bit as a treat along with a vitamin/mineral supplement just to make sure he isn't lacking anything.

I really think the most important part of the diet is high quality hay.

My baby is pretty high strung, so I really don't want to add a lot of grain products if I can help it. If your baby isn't a wild-man like mine, I'm sure the GX according to label directions will be great for him. It's made to be fed to all classes of horses and if I'm not mistaken has feeding instructions on the back of the bag for weanlings too. :-)

(I'm not saying the GX makes him overly energetic, I'm sure it doesn't. He is energetic by nature and I just don't want to encourage him, lol! That's him in my avatar.)

Rachel1786 09-25-2011 02:11 PM

I don't have experience feeding gx to young horses but I used to feed it to my tb and appy and it made them both unworkably hot, overall I am not a fan of purina, I had my 36 year old Arab/quarter on their senior and it did nothing for him. I much prefer triple crown products, and I think they are less expensive also.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-28-2011 01:12 PM

Thanks for the opinions. Trust me, if I could give lots of quality hay I would.. But my area has a terrible drought at the moment so hay isn't easy to come by, much less super good quality. But I do have a supplier who gave me ten bales of 18 percent costal, for free. He is such a sweethert, his only problem is its hard to get him to get some hay for me bc he procrastonates lol
Posted via Mobile Device