The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Sinking Into My Hips (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/sinking-into-my-hips-98826/)

HorseLoverHunter 09-24-2011 10:57 PM

Sinking Into My Hips

My trainer keeps telling me to sink my weight into my hips more so I can sit the canter better. When I do, it can only keep it for two or three strides. I am very light-weight and can squat way more then my weight, so sometimes its hard for me to tell if I truly am sinking it in or not. Any tips? I hate going to ride, and I canter and everything is all bump. Then, when your trainer tries to help you fix it, you still bounce around like a doll... =/

Eliz 09-24-2011 11:04 PM

As a hunt rider going into dressage, I've had to change my seat very significantly. I naturally have a light (LIGHT) seat, which can be good, but really it isn't. Lol

My instructor tells me to "clean the saddle front to back with my butt". So instead of "sinking into your hips" (never heard that before?" canter WITH the horse. You're probably stiffening up which also will cause you to bounce around.

So when you're riding, loosen up your back, but be able to tighten your abs. Push your rear to the very back of the saddle, then sweep it forward with the motion of the gait. Does that make sense? I know when I first started, I realized I don't have hardly any core strength. It is hard work!!

What discipline do you ride? I'm assuming its hunters/jumpers? You won't use such a deep dressage seat like I just explained, but it should get you on the right track to get a nice, sweeping seat!

HorseLoverHunter 09-24-2011 11:15 PM

Yeah, I ride hunter/jumpers. And yeah I do get what you mean. Thanks! :)

Eliz 09-25-2011 01:37 AM

Ok yeah, basically just go with the motion then. Obviously your hunter seat will be a lot less deep than the dressage seat, but same priciple ;)