The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Appaloosa Horses: Breed standards gone too far? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/appaloosa-horses-breed-standards-gone-too-9884/)

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-07-2008 11:47 PM

Appaloosa Horses: Breed standards gone too far?

What do you guys think about the breed standards of the Appys right now? I think it is kind of rediculous that Quarter Horse/Thoughbred blood is being allowed to be in the Apaloosa horse club right now. Seriously, isnt such characteristcs as the sparse mane and tail, scelera around the eye, stripped hooves, ect a main point of the breed that the Nez Perce tribe bred into these horses? People put down this wonderful breed because the look "ugly and bull headed" so they started breeding them with the Quarter Horses to get the Quarter Horse look with the appy color. I dont want to start any fights, just wondering what other people think lol :D

appylover31803 06-08-2008 08:49 AM

i have to say my mare has qh and tb blood in her, though you have to look way back to find the tb.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/impression+in+time

Supermane 06-08-2008 10:01 AM

I have to say that I'm all for it. I'm not a huge fan of foundation appaloosas; however I've seen many with qh/tb that I think are lovely.

farmpony84 06-08-2008 01:31 PM

several years ago TB's were heavily introduced into the apps to give them more height, I remember when that was happening the "new" apps were really starting to get hot headed in nature and that's not what that breed is supposed to be, so then I think they started adding the QH's into the bloodline to bring them back to their original demeanors and body types... is that true?

irisheyes12 06-08-2008 02:58 PM

I'm not a fan of foundation Appaloosa's as they are ugly and bull-headed in my opinion. I don't agree with cross breeding of any sort and i'm saddened to see Quarter Horses being crossed with Appaloosa's just to put the Appy color on a decent looking horse. People like the color of Appaloosa's and think, "why not breed this Leopard Appaloosa with a Thoroughbred so that I can get one over 14.2 hh and market it to more people?".... you can paint an apple orange, it's still going to be an apple. :roll:

Supermane 06-08-2008 04:55 PM

I have no problem with cross breeding as long as it is done sanely.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/709823788.html
^^These are the cross breeds I just can stand. Why would anyone do this?

QH, Paint, TB, and Appies being crossed doesn't really bother me, I think they can help the breed rather than hinder it.

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-08-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes12
I'm not a fan of foundation Appaloosa's as they are ugly and bull-headed in my opinion. I don't agree with cross breeding of any sort and i'm saddened to see Quarter Horses being crossed with Appaloosa's just to put the Appy color on a decent looking horse. People like the color of Appaloosa's and think, "why not breed this Leopard Appaloosa with a Thoroughbred so that I can get one over 14.2 hh and market it to more people?".... you can paint an apple orange, it's still going to be an apple. :roll:

You can cross basically any horse and try to sell it and market it to more people. That is why there are crosses such as the Tennuvian, Arappaloosa, Morab, Quarab, ect. The possibilities are endless. People can see the Appaloosa's that are foundation bred as ugly and bullheaded, but they need to at least be accepting of what the horses was used for, and bred for by the Nez Perce. We also must remember that these horses almost went EXTINCT like many of the other breeds around the world at one time or another because of the carelessness of humans. Just because people want a Appaloosa that looks like a quarter horse with the quarter horse bloodlines, wouldnt that make that horse a quarter horse? duh :o

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-08-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane
I have no problem with cross breeding as long as it is done sanely.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/709823788.html
^^These are the cross breeds I just can stand. Why would anyone do this?

qh, Paint, tb, and Appies being crossed doesn't really bother me, I think they can help the breed rather than hinder it.

Alot of those people that cross Ferisians are looking for big bucks because the horse is slightly "unusual". Some people can help the breed, but other people are just plain stupid with their breeding.

Supermane 06-08-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly_Horse_CMT
Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes12

You can cross basically any horse and try to sell it and market it to more people. That is why there are crosses such as the Tennuvian, Arappaloosa, Morab, Quarab, ect. The possibilities are endless. People can see the Appaloosa's that are foundation bred as ugly and bullheaded, but they need to at least be accepting of what the horses was used for, and bred for by the Nez Perce. We also must remember that these horses almost went EXTINCT like many of the other breeds around the world at one time or another because of the carelessness of humans. Just because people want a Appaloosa that looks like a quarter horse with the quarter horse bloodlines, wouldnt that make that horse a quarter horse? duh :o

The problem with that is many of the foundation looking appies aren't marketable. I'm not saying that all of them are ugly, I've seen some pretty looking ones, but the majority just look sad. Why would you breed something that isn't guaranteed a nice life just because you can?

farmpony84 06-08-2008 05:42 PM

Of course the QH is a breed that was put together by horses that had unknown breeding... I think it started somewhere in the 1600's when they bred the english thourobreds to native american horses and arabians...

Then as they moved outwest they used horses like steel dust and traveler that were unkown breeding, peter mccue was a thourobred. The Thoroughbred race horse Three Bars, alive in the early years of the AQHA, is recognized by the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame as one of the significant foundation sires for the Quarter Horse breed. Other significant Thoroughbred sires seen in early AQHA pedigrees include King Plaudit, Blob, Top Deck, Vandy and Truckle Feature.

So really the American Quarter Horse is absolutely the definitiion of an American! LOL - it's a mixing bowl of breeds. My horse, Riley has Man O' War in his bloodlines... and he's as QH as they come! So anyway, I do think "they" the people who think they are refining the breeds go a little to far when they do what they do... but ... i don't know... I'm still a sucker for the old style foundation ranch horses... and I like the newer styles somewhat, not the TB-looking ones. to me, when the have those behavioral traits and that look, they just arent' QH's anymore. They're TBs.

I know this discussion was about Appy's but I don't know a ton about that breed so I couldnt go into a big rant about the history of it......