The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Adopting a offtrack TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/adopting-offtrack-tb-98997/)

MojaveRattler 09-26-2011 09:31 PM

Adopting a offtrack TB

I am looking at adopting a four year old TB named Royale who is near 16hh I believe. I loved him!!!!!!! He was a sweetie and was the first horse up, first to throw his head over my shoulder, followed me around, and I want to just stand and pet him, and pet him. He was so skinny when they got him, did not even look like the same horse at all. The people there could tell I liked him, I did not think it was that obvious. He has not been a gelding for long but I do not have a mare so it would not be a problem. I want to learn english and he is built for it, and he aint no scrawny TB he's got muscle a nice butt, good width, he was beautiful. Now he has this like.. oh I guess you'd call it a hump on his back, it was straight(they said) so they said they think he is still growing because he is no longer hurt. Would this be true? I can adopt him for 650, and they are going to get on him, and I will be able to do so as well. I'm not rushing into this as I've looked at a lot of horses, and he... well I was walking around looking at others there as well but my mind kept drifting back to him. I have started horses myself, and got a quiet two year old that my friend will be riding on trails after she gets lessons, so I am sure I can do this, and will be able to get help if I need it.

tinyliny 09-26-2011 10:13 PM

Well, welcome to the forum. Are you asking for opinions or advice on this? Is this a rescue your are getting the horse from?

MojaveRattler 09-26-2011 10:19 PM

Asking for whatever people can tell me, I have had him on the brain since I saw him today. I'm not wanting to rush this to much, but apparently it was dead obvious I liked him. He was built for what I wanted to learn, not scrawny and had good muscle. I was instantly fond of his behavior, and he was the quiet kind eyed sort. I have never adopted a horse, and he is from a rescue near me called Alder Hill Farm.

ChingazMyBoy 09-26-2011 10:53 PM

Thought I'd share a little opinion/story or whatever this turns out to be.

I own a lovely 'OTTB' he's turned into such an enjoyable horse to work with, although - racing has a completely different style of training. They are challenging, I was told it would be hard re-schooling mine, but I didn't know how hard it actually would be.

They take patience, time and what not.

MojaveRattler 09-26-2011 11:23 PM

If I get Royal or another, I am planning to start him in a round pin, and move him to my arena sized pasture before getting him out in bigger pastures and trails. I do not plain on him going right into something bigger, but I know he was used for handing and pasture breeding, and has not been gelded to long so I know it will be a handful. Though I do not expect perfect from him, I'll let him tell me when he is ready. I plan to work on flexing his neck, and teaching him to back up first.

ChristineNJ 09-26-2011 11:40 PM

I think it would take time, patience and an experienced trainer to train an Off the Track TB. Also, he is very young and may be high spirited & a bit mischievous!

MojaveRattler 09-26-2011 11:44 PM

It does not want to show up but I have two horses right now, a two year old, and a yearling, I have trained three horses and will be four when I deem the yearling ready, he can be four or ten by the time he is ready for all I care. I just have a habit of trying to avoid bucking, rearing and bolting if I can, so far I have managed to do this with the two year old, though I expect nothing special. I train the horse at the horses pace, let them tell what they are ready for. I plan on getting lessons to follow my knowledge, and looking into a certification for training.

Saskia 09-27-2011 05:56 AM

If you know what you are doing then go ahead? I don't know what advice you are asking for.

OTTB can have "bolting" problems. Its more the fact that they are taught to run and pretty much nothing else, so it can take a while teaching them that is not what to do. I'm anti-TB and firmly believe that they are not for beginners but there are nice ones out there. Be aware that, in my opinion, it is often harder to re-train a OTTB than to train a nice unbroken horse. OTTB are somewhat conditioned to do things a certain way, so even after years of training you can be cantering on an open field and your horse takes off on you. I'm sure most people could retrain one but to me its always the question of if its really worth the time. OTTBs don't have the resale value of many other horses, and because they are not purpose bred for other disciplines there are many other more suitable horses for what you plan to do.

Not sure what you mean about this hump, but am always concerned about injuries in raced horses. If they retired him but were still breeding him - that is a little strange to me. If he was good he would have kept racing, if he was bad they wouldn't breed him. Unless he had an injury. Just be cautious.