The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   interstate horse transport (

Cacowgirl 09-28-2011 01:20 AM

interstate horse transport
I just entered into an escrow in the next state, AZ, & am wondering what I have to do to take my horses to their new home. I've been there a few times & going into AZ doesn't seem to be a problem, but what if I want to came back for a few days & ride w/my friends? They (2 horses) both are registered, should I get them transferred into my name? Is that really necessary? Coming into CA can be tough, they seem to have all the roads manned by inspectors. Will I need Coggins? something else? I wonder how different AZ (Kingman) will be from So Cal? As it may pertain to the horses. I do plan on building shelters as I have here, & adding misters also. 1 horse is quite "lippy" though so I may have a problem w/her. I will be on a water haul,& we were thinking of having a seperate water tank for the horses. I am very excited to become the owner of a 13+ acre spread.

Cacowgirl 10-09-2011 10:07 PM

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm not sure it's showing up anywhere. I'm so excited to get some land! And get away from all the hub-bub of So cal. The new place is so peaceful & quite!

Poseidon 10-09-2011 11:41 PM

I'm not sure if Google would yield any concrete answers, just you should try. Or contact a vet or livestock-related lawyer to be 100% sure.

I would imagine a negative Coggins and possibly a clean bill of health from a vet would be required for interstate travel, but, again, contact someone with that kind of expertise. Don't quote me on this, but I think a Coggins can be considered a valid proof of ownership. Something else to ask.

ETA: Found an answer with Google.
"Equines (horses, donkeys, zebra & mules): Must be free of contagious diseases. Equines entering the state require a CVI (Health Certificate) and a negative Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) test within six (6) months of entry. Foals under 6 months are exempt from the negative EIA test only if they are traveling with their negative mother. A California entry permit is not required for equines to enter the state." Under Livestock.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome