The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   QH Critique! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/qh-critique-99174/)

misskingraven 09-28-2011 10:40 PM

QH Critique!

3 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if someone could point out some of the conformation flaws (feel free to post good stuff too!) on my horse. He is a 8-10 (I don't know the age exactly) QH gelding. I love him to death, but he looks a little funny, but I cant quite pinpoint what it is... (besides his HUGE stomach, I just got him and am working to build up muscle and make him lose weight)
So besides his fat, what are some of the good, bad and ugly things about my boy?
And the last picture is just to prove how CUTE his is!! (and yes, his halter is pink, got a problem with that :lol:)

bubba13 09-28-2011 11:08 PM

The first thing wrong with him is that he's definitely not a Quarter Horse!

Now, thick neck and throatlatch, but good shoulder angle, solid front legs, looks like he may be built slightly downhill, hard to tell from the photos but it looks like he had three flat-soled feet and possibly a left hind club (might be misleading, with the grass and all), he is very fat, steep croup, not the greatest hind, camped out / sickle hocked, but overall a decent horse.

EthanQ 09-28-2011 11:11 PM

yeah i agree with bubba13, one thing that everyone doesn't seem to understand is Qhs usually don't have pinto markings. He would most likely be a paint horse :)

tinyliny 09-28-2011 11:15 PM

I think your horse is better conformed than you think. He does have a very nice shoulder and neck, nice short canons in front and pastern angle looks good. The left rear does look a little "different", as Bubba said.

I think when he muscles up he will look very nice indeed. And I love the pink halter!

Chiilaa 09-29-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanQ (Post 1186719)
yeah i agree with bubba13, one thing that everyone doesn't seem to understand is Qhs usually don't have pinto markings. He would most likely be a paint horse :)

It's not the pinto markings that are the problem, since they do occur within the QH breed. It's the tobiano pinto markings, which don't occur:-)

Elana 09-29-2011 08:55 AM

Agree with what is said but he is also rough coupled (see the peak at the top of the rump?). I like his bone but his left hind looks almost like the foot is sort of clubby. I had a horse like this with bone spavins in both hind legs which is a common draft horse affliction due to the conformation of a lot of draft horse hind legs. He has that conformation.

He seems a slight bit back at the knee, but with that bone he may be OK.

With the bone he has, the hind leg conformation and the color I would expect you go back a long way in his pedigree (if it is available) you will find a draft horse in there.

Looks to be a useful sort of horse in other respects.

Sunny 09-29-2011 09:06 AM

I had a QH/Paint cross pony who looked so much like your boy!

The main thing I see is the steep croup.

He's a cutie!
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 09-29-2011 09:29 AM

28 Attachment(s)
He's very attractive for a paint! So many times people look at the color instead
of conformation when breeding, this guy has a nice sturdy look to him. Especially for a pony type, nice head, nothing wrong there!
My gelding has the same steep croup. He also has a pretty rough ride compared
to my super nice QH mare. How does he go? If he rides well then there shouldn't
be a problem with his confo, if he's rougher then you may want to look into
corrective shoeing. I know mine needs corrective shoes (unfortunately),
especially on his R hind, he wears it down funny. Something I missed
when I bought him, distracted by the pretty tail!

farmpony84 09-29-2011 09:40 AM

Most paints are at least half quarter horse and there are registered aqha/apha paints in the world.

that one is probably at least half qh. I'm not the best conformational critique-er because I don't have the verbage down so I'll go with he's Super cute...

natisha 09-29-2011 09:49 AM

Macho men can pull off pink with pride. :-)
He's not sickle hocked.