The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How to keep your weight in your heels when cantering? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-keep-your-weight-your-heels-99177/)

Passion4Horses 09-29-2011 12:22 AM

How to keep your weight in your heels when cantering?

Ok, so when I canter I have a lot of trouble with slipping/losing my stirrups, and I believe that it is caused by me gripping with my knees. So suggestions to stop griiping with my knees and sink my weight all the way down in my heels?

Also, I lean to far back when trying follow the movement of the canter?

And last, when my lesson horse breaks into a trot it is a super fast trot and I feel like I am bouncing all over the saddle and feel a little out of control and actually have to halt in the middle of the arena to get my seat and my breath back, that is really frustrating (and embarrassing) so help with those things?

Thanks in advance!

SorrelHorse 09-29-2011 12:47 AM

My trainer always says, you can't teach feel...Which was true for me.

I had numerous people try to explain it, but in the end I had to just practice through trial and error. I found that sitting back and letting my leg relax was a good thing. you can grip with your knees still, but don't scrunch up so much that you become stiff about it. Relax and flow with your horse!

tinyliny 09-29-2011 01:09 AM

HOw long have you been doing canter work? It does take some time to get used to it. things like cantering without stirrups will help, but if you are not ready for that, it's understandable.

I sometimes tell myself to think of my heel being mentally connected to my horse's hind feet. That helps to keep the weight down and back.

Also, be sure that you arent collapsing your upper body around your belly button, in a C shape. ride proud, with your "heart" being the first thing that breaks the air as you go foreward.

AND, it just takes time, so don't sweat it too much!

Where in Washington are yoU? Wa. state, right?

Passion4Horses 09-29-2011 01:20 AM

I have only been cantering for about 2 months now, and I live in Spokane. Yah another Washingtonian! ha!

Chiilaa 09-29-2011 05:38 AM

I think of being 'tall'. Always, grow 'tall'. When you grow tall, your shoulders move back and up, your chest opens up, your lower back is softly arched but not forced, and your bum is pressing deep into the saddle. Let your legs just sit, and let your bum hold you in. If you are 'tall', you don't need your legs to hold you on :-)

Hoofprints in the Sand 10-06-2011 08:55 PM

I had the issue of gripping with my knees and my trainer told me to envision putting the weight on the outside of my feet sort of like riding with the weight in your pinky toes instead of your big toes. It prevents you from gripping with your knees. It's awkward at first but really works well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Eliz 10-06-2011 09:17 PM

HITS, I love your avatar! "Your argument is invalid" memes are some of my favorites!! :)

Carry on!

Hoofprints in the Sand 10-07-2011 01:03 PM

lol :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Catdog88 10-07-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 1193536)
I had the issue of gripping with my knees and my trainer told me to envision putting the weight on the outside of my feet sort of like riding with the weight in your pinky toes instead of your big toes. It prevents you from gripping with your knees. It's awkward at first but really works well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Catdog88 10-07-2011 01:21 PM

Great tip. This really helps ALOT! Thanks for sharing :)
Posted via Mobile Device