The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   lesson help wanted.... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/lesson-help-wanted-9921/)

ilovemyhorsies 06-09-2008 12:20 AM

lesson help wanted....

ok....my brother has no clue about horses (he can brush a little bit and stuff but other than that....) or riding and as he is only 8 he gets bored easily so i need some quick, interesting and fun activities that can teach him a bit about horses. i need some answers today....hopefully within the next 10-15 minutes any later and i will prob have to use them for next week) i need stuff that will fill up about 1 hour or 45 minutes.

some activities i was thinking of were - - -

simon says, bending races (at a walk), poo on a spoon race...

i really need help!! replys appreciated!

appylover31803 06-09-2008 02:08 PM

well this is a little late, but there are several things you could do both on ground and in the saddle

On the ground:
leading over obstacles, or if he's into like combat type boy stuff, make it like a video gave he has. Where he has to go to different "check points". He could either have to name a part of the tack, do something with the horse (curry it, brush it, pick up a hoof) and once he's done with that, he can move on to the next "check point"

Thats all i can think of for the ground.

In the Saddle
barrel racing at the walk in fun. doing things where he's blindfolded and you tell him where to go/what to do.

Around the world is fun, but that can be dangerous

If you want to keep with his combat type boy stuff thing, you could make each lesson a mission, where he has to get something completed.

My2Geldings 06-10-2008 12:38 AM

If you get cones you can get him to hit the cones. Putting on the lunge line when playing simon says will help him play without having to worry about the "steering wheel". It will improve his balance and seat without him even realising it.

chasin the dream 06-10-2008 11:36 AM

great ideas! i especially like the simon says on horseback! its cool-and deff do that on a lunge line..:) good luck! hes a lucky little kid to grow up with horses!