The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is this colt truly white or Perlino or ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/colt-truly-white-perlino-99238/)

Piaffe 09-29-2011 06:18 PM

Is this colt truly white or Perlino or ?

Sorry...can't post pics through my iPad,but I added the link. Do you think this colt is truly the elusive "white" or is he Perlino or something? Either way he is a cutie,but I am curious.....

Only White Warmblood in World!

Endiku 09-29-2011 06:24 PM

If I remember correctly, the albino or 'white' gene is lethal to horses, leading me to believe that this just some sort of money scam. I'm no professional on color or genetics, but if he truely was the 'only white warmblood in the world,' I would of atleast heard of him. I try to stay very current on equine news and have seen nothing of this colt.

If I were buying him I would do a lot of extensive testing on him...and even then- even if he WAS the only white in the world- I wouldn't pay $25,000 for him. It's just a coat color, after all- and breeding him would be useless, as other 'white' babies that he would produce would die.

Piaffe 09-29-2011 06:30 PM

Mmm...it says he was "Featured in September issue of Warmbloods Today". I can't find anything about any color testing. His dam in the pic looks grey...

*runs off to find a pic of sire*

EDIT: Looks like the sire is a liver chestnut and dam is grey...hypothetically is a true "white" possible from that breeding?

Chiilaa 09-29-2011 06:33 PM

Looks to me like he has a very small medicine hat - his ears are coloured, I would say probably palomino but could be cremello instead.

Chiilaa 09-29-2011 06:36 PM

There are a few different dominant white lines in TBs, I don't know enough about them to recognise them based on pedigree.

As far as lethal with white horses, it's just like LWO. Fine in one copy, lethal if homozygous. Last I heard, they were leaning toward a homozygous DW fetus being aborted as it would not survive any longer than a few months (?) in utero.

Piaffe 09-29-2011 06:39 PM

Here is a link to his grandsire on dams side....couldn't it just be a lighter expression of this rather than "white"?

apache

Chiilaa 09-29-2011 06:42 PM

I would say so. Like I said, there are families of white TBs, I just can never remember the lines lol.

ShutUpJoe 09-29-2011 08:00 PM

I see the color on the ears as well. With the info given I'd say he's a sabino.

Jumpehunter 09-29-2011 08:09 PM

i looks like he does have a medicine hat and a little goldfish tint when the light hits him just right. also i spotted a couple tiny black spots around his muzzle

cakemom 09-29-2011 09:47 PM

I sure see a cap on him. He is a cutie but not what he's advertised as...silly considering anyone can see that.
Posted via Mobile Device