The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Everyone can ride - much to my surprise (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/everyone-can-ride-much-my-surprise-99249/)

NorthernMama 09-29-2011 09:24 PM

Everyone can ride - much to my surprise

Ok, maybe I'm out of line here as I am not a plus-size rider, but I have to tell you all that I used to be terribly prejudiced against plus-size riders. I could never understand how anyone that is overweight could possibly ride at all, much less ride properly or well. :oops:

Thankfully, I had a severe wake-up call a couple of years ago. I was attending a very small local fair and there was a well-turned out lady with a well-turned out horse and my bigotted thought was, "Well, they look good, for whatever that counts." When that pair went in the ring though, I just about fell on my face. They were amazing. I swear the lady was part and parcel of the horse. There was such amazing movement, connection and "tightness" in their action I was stunned. Blessedly so. I'm so glad that I saw what I did. It changed my outlook.

So, to any plus-sizer's that may think they can't do something because of size, skinny little me knows that it's just not so.

Red Gate Farm 09-30-2011 12:03 PM

Thank you for the viewpoint from the "other side" :D

Golden Horse 09-30-2011 01:31 PM

Thank you for posting

dee 10-02-2011 12:30 AM

Thank you for wise words. Now...would you just convince the other riders who complain that I should be carrying the horse instead of the horse carrying me? :-)

Cinder 10-02-2011 11:21 AM

Thank you for your vote of confidence! :D

Allison Finch 10-02-2011 12:04 PM

I TOTALLY agree with this observation. I have had a couple of plus sized students who were some of the softest riders I have taught. They had the lightest seat and softest hands. Weight does not have to interfere with the horse.

NorthernMama 10-02-2011 09:31 PM

Wow, I'm glad I posted this. I did some thinking over it before I did; wasn't sure how everyone would take it. I'm also glad I apparently wrote it correctly and people have read it exactly how I hoped. :) It was an "ah-ha" moment for me. Or more like "aaaahhhh - wowwww".

Dee -- insight to others? Can't be done. They just have to be willing to have an open mind and open their eyes. Too many people in the horse-world are narrow-minded unfortunately. All you can do is walk away from those.

kitten_Val 10-04-2011 09:48 PM

Some plus size riders I personally know are simply excellent (very quiet seat and soft hands). I do remember being very impressed with one bigger lady at the clinic, who had a long break in riding, but had such a deep/quiet seat I could just dream about.

Simply Hot N Rockin 10-16-2011 12:35 AM

Thank you!!! I'm 62 and 270 lbs...I have been told many times I have an awesome seat and soft hands...

BurningAmber520 11-08-2011 04:48 PM

Thank you for your insight! I appreciate hearing your experience! I am 6'0 and around 275lbs, and too have been told that I have a light seat and quiet hands, which is so important. A heavy rider who riders well will do much much less damage then a skinny rider who bounces all over the horses back, yanks on its mouth, etc.