The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   What to do with the broken kitten? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/what-do-broken-kitten-9926/)

farmpony84 06-09-2008 09:19 AM

What to do with the broken kitten?

So...

My hound got a kitten. I had to pry it out of his mouth. I was so mad at him, but what can you do? He's a hound. Anyway, the kitten is broken. It's back legs don't work. It is in no pain. My brother was supposed to take it to the vet for me the morning after it happenend, and he didnt' because my mom talked him into waiting...

Well, I told him if he was leaving it like that then they needed to take it up the hill to their house because I cant do it. I can't let an animal suffer, even though Id on't think it is. I have it in a carrier and I'm feeding adn watering and cleaning it daily. It's been almost a week. If I take it to the vet, they'll want to put it down. I was almost thinking we can have the back legs amputated and make it a wheelchair. I was amazed at all the sites I saw on cats in wheelchairs... But, is it cruel? I don't want to be cruel. It's so sweet and happy, it purs and cuddles and if you put it on the ground it scoots across the ground at 90 miles a minute..... I just don't know... I mean... What is cruel????

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-09-2008 09:57 AM

Farmpony.........I hate to air on the side of darkness......but. This poor kity has zero chance at a normal life. Sure it's ok now but what abut when it gets bigger? Do you want a wheelchair kitty and all the medical attention it will need? Is it best just to put it down and send it to kitty heaven? I'm sorry the doggie got it but that is just nature sometimes. Do you have the time to dedicate to this cat?
What happens when the wheelchair gets stuck somewhere? How will the cat live outside...It would be buzzard bait for sure...How will it use a litter box inside?

IMO...I think its probably best to put the little bugger down. :( I'm sorry. ((hugs))

farmpony84 06-09-2008 11:57 AM

I asked my husband to "take care of it" before he left but he did not... he'll be back this week though and then he can "take care of it"... see, that's the problem with me... I CAN'T DO IT!

I told my brother if he wanted to give it a try he could, build it a rabbit hutch for now and a wheelchair, but no, I can't keep it and I have 3 big dogs. the hound, we saw what he did, and then the shepard, she's a shepard... the collie wouldnt hurg it.......

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-09-2008 01:59 PM

OoOoo... ok

brightside 06-09-2008 02:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Dumas'_Grrrl. She's right, the kitty wont have a chance at a normal life, and wont be able to function properly. If putting the kitty down is not really an option for you, perhaps you could find someone who could adopt him/her that doesnt have a dog. Also, the vet bills on a cat that has major problems like this could potentially be astronomical.

buckaroo2010 06-09-2008 02:28 PM

Im such and animal lover too I wouldnt be able to do anyitng about it either but i think what everyone else saud is teh best way to go im so sorry :cry:

appylover31803 06-09-2008 03:17 PM

I think if you turn him into a no kill animal shelter that might be the best bet for the little kitty.

When we were looking for a dog, Tom found an older German Shepherd who was paralyzed and had a wheel chair. He looked forward going into everyday. He urgently needed a home and someone adopted him.

If you cannot care for him, a shelter will most likely find someone who will.

farmpony84 06-09-2008 03:21 PM

there is a no kill shelter in caroline, but would they put the money into treatment? what about a rescue organization... now you got me thinking... my brother wants to build a wheelchair but.... He would have to keep it, and I'm wondering about litterbox training... and I just can't do it... I can't.

appylover31803 06-09-2008 03:24 PM

i wonder if there are little kitty diapers... maybe if you had a ramp going into the littler box it would be easy for the kitty to go.

You could always call up or e-mail the places and ask them if they'd do the treatment.

farmpony84 06-09-2008 03:49 PM

look at this...

http://geocities.com/speedykitten/index.html