The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   opinions on M-T-G (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/opinions-m-t-g-99286/)

bjb 09-30-2011 01:51 PM

opinions on M-T-G

So i have been told to use m-t-g on horses with crud or rain rot. I have also heard rumors that it causes allergic reactions, rashes, or irritates the skin. Has anyone used this product and what are your experiences with it?

Also are lighter colored horses more prone to having sensative skin? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazy84 09-30-2011 02:18 PM

I have never used it to treat rain rot, I've always used it to speed mane and tail growth but I only bought one bottle and couldn't tell it did anything. It smells funny. I never had a horse have an allergic reaction to it though but for rain rot I have always mixed plain Listerine mouthwash and water and sprayed the area 3 times daily and that gets rid of it fast.

livestoride 09-30-2011 02:35 PM

I used it once for her tail and hated the smell and greasy feeling it left. Gem hated me putting it on her and would get really tense. Maybe it irritated her, I don't know, but I stopped once I noticed that behavior.

A barnmate used it on her horse for rain rot adn it seemed to work just fine. She has a black and white paint and had not reaction at all.

My only advice would be to use it on a small apot first and see how it goes for a day or so looking for irritation. Use a brush or comb or towel that you don't mind throwing away afterwards.

bjb 09-30-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks guys! I have actually heard about the listerine thing and intend to give it a shot. We live in michigan so the weather is rather unpredictable and my horse REALLY enjoys rolling in the mud much to my displeasure.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyK01 09-30-2011 03:31 PM

My mare actually had a terrible reaction to MTG :( I used it on both mane and tail; no issues with the tail, but her neck on the side where her mane lays got completely inflamed. Her skin got all puffy and was very sensitive to touch. I immediately washed it off with really gentle shampoo and she was back to normal within a day or two, but I wouldn't try it again! I know tons of people use it with no problems, but I would definitely second trying a test spot first - I wish I had done that!

paintedpastures 09-30-2011 03:55 PM

I use it on manes & tails but no longer try using it on any other parts of the body have had them react to it like Sunnyk horse got all inflammed & worsened the area I was trying to treat:-x

bjb 09-30-2011 04:39 PM

Wow! Thats why i asked first i would seriously freak out if my horse got inflamed because i blindly took someones advice and used it.
Posted via Mobile Device

crimson88 09-30-2011 05:35 PM

My trainer's horse exprienced an allergic reaction to it. She was using it an aid in tail growth and her horse got flakey skin and patches of hair loss. I used it for two years and the picture below is the result I got. The only side effects he exprienced was some extra dandruff but nothing serious.

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e434f0cd/l.jpg

spookychick13 09-30-2011 07:52 PM

It seems to be helping my horse grow his mane/tail, but it stinks. I only use it once per week.
Wear gloves.

STINKY. ;)

Kawairashii Ichigo 09-30-2011 09:36 PM

Works amazing on the horses, but I'm allergic to it myself. I'll swell like a balloon if I touch it! So it's always nice when people let me know if they've put it on their horses before I go to ride them. Lol But if you can use it it works wonders. My mom decided to try it on her hair and it makes it grow 3-4 inches in a month! But we're a little out of the box like that. xD