The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Corriente Barrel Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/corriente-barrel-saddles-99299/)

BarrelWannabe 09-30-2011 04:55 PM

Corriente Barrel Saddles

Does anyone have any positive or negative reviews on Corriente barrel saddles? I'm interested in purchasing one. I'd be buying it directly from Cottiente if that makes any difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 09-30-2011 10:30 PM

I know some people here really like them, but I've honestly heard nothing but bad things, including from people really in the know in the tack sale industry. What's your saddle budget?

BarrelWannabe 09-30-2011 10:35 PM

$600 to $700

kitten_Val 09-30-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1188394)
I've honestly heard nothing but bad things

Wow! Do you mean just barrel saddles or the brand itself? I know 2 people here who own them (NOT barrel though), and they only said good things. I'm not arguing, but I'm really curious what was so negative about them (because I remember advising the saddle based on feedback I've seen here (which I stated of course)).

kitten_Val 09-30-2011 10:38 PM

BW, I personally tried Bill Cook barrel saddle and it was very comfy. But I'm not a racer, so can't comment on how good choice it would be for real barrels.

BarrelWannabe 09-30-2011 10:45 PM

I would like to have a billy cook but find a 16" is like trying to find the holy grail. That's one of the reasons I was looking at corriente.

bubba13 09-30-2011 10:49 PM

Kitten, it was all the saddles. Said there's very little quality control, and that they import saddles from Mexico and elsewhere, then just stamp their name on them. This may not be true, but the guy telling me really ought to know, as he's a very trustworthy and educated salesman at PFI. Maybe there's more than one Corriente, and it's like BC vs. Genuine BC. But the price does make me suspect.

Barrel, in that price range, you should be able to get yourself a very nice name brand used saddle.

kitten_Val 09-30-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1188440)
Kitten, it was all the saddles. Said there's very little quality control, and that they import saddles from Mexico and elsewhere, then just stamp their name on them. This may not be true, but the guy telling me really ought to know, as he's a very trustworthy and educated salesman at PFI. Maybe there's more than one Corriente, and it's like BC vs. Genuine BC. But the price does make me suspect.

Barrel, in that price range, you should be able to get yourself a very nice name brand used saddle.

Good to know! I was considering one myself (before I switched to english completely), but never went for it (I try to avoid buying saddles on-line as fitting my horses is a true pain in bum).

SorrelHorse 10-01-2011 11:18 PM

Hereford saddles.....I have a semi-older one that I am absolutely in love with. I did an endurance ride in it, comfy all day long, took it to the pen the next day and ran my barrel mare through a full gymkhana. Doesn't wear easily, lightweight, and the best saddle I've ever owned.

Poseidon 10-02-2011 01:26 AM

I just called them asking for an estimate on a barrel saddle (14", half breed with wild rose tooling and a black stingray seat). $710. I'm pretty excited. I need to save for a while though. The lady I talked to when I called was very nice and said the barrel saddles are very smart looking.

I've personally never heard bad things about Corriente.