The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Electrolytes.....chewing wood (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/electrolytes-chewing-wood-99306/)

toosexy4myspotz 09-30-2011 07:18 PM

Electrolytes.....chewing wood

Okie dokie....our new little mare makes me so sad!!! Apparently her previous owners never gave her salt, minerals, grains, etc.... So right now she is was having a hard time adapting. She went from being in a pasture all the time with no people contact to us buying her which she is now handled multiple times a day and gets stall and turnout. I was trying to let her settle in some before introducing grain. Well she was eating, not chewing or cribbing but eating the wood in the stalls. We gave her a little bit of grain, top dressed it with the mineral and salt mixture that we give our other horses and gave her a salt block she stopped eating the wood. I want everyone opinions on different mineral supplement and electrolytes that they use. I use a homemade mix that works well for everyday use but I am looking for something for her that has more mineral value I guess is what you would call it.

toosexy4myspotz 09-30-2011 07:19 PM

She also has a huge fear of the pasture. Two of our geldings keep attacking but they are now booted out of pasture privilege till we move. She absolutely loves people.

Left Hand Percherons 10-01-2011 11:33 AM

I would not limit her availability of salt and minerals. Provide both in a loose form (horses often do not lick blocks enough to get what they need). Give her a cup of each in a bucket and let her have at it. She will gobble down a few pounds of each. Don't worry. She's just replacing her stores and she will drop down to a few ounces per day usually within the weeks.

There is no need to provide a separate electrolye. Electrolytes are nothing more than small amounts of minerals, Na, Cl, Ca, P, K and Mg, in an expensive package. A nationally available loose mineral product that is superior to most is Moorman's Grostrong. You want to find one that has high values of Ca (20-30%), P (5-15%) and Vit A (100,000 IU/# or higher). That will limit the amount of salt they can mix in as well.

toosexy4myspotz 10-01-2011 11:42 AM

After the second night of chewing her stall my husband went and got the bits and pieces of salt block out of one of the other horses stalls and the poor thing ate it in chunks. When she got done with that she proceeded to lick me. I am going to try and post pictures of her. She is as sweet as she can be, and cute too boot. I just couldn't believe how she sat there and ate the salt block. There was no licking to it. She ate it.

Maverick101 10-02-2011 11:55 AM

The horse isn't chewing her stall because she is lacking minerals or electrolytes.

You said she went form being in pasture to being stalled. she stopped chewing the wood in her stall when she had the salt lick, as she was focusing her energy on that opposed to chewing the stall.
She is chewing the stall, because she is bored. Try giving her access to hay 24/7 in hay net or if the stall has a manger.
Or place a toy in her stall, that she can nibble and play w, to avoid her refocusing on chewing the stall.

toosexy4myspotz 10-02-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick101 (Post 1189420)
The horse isn't chewing her stall because she is lacking minerals or electrolytes.

You said she went form being in pasture to being stalled. she stopped chewing the wood in her stall when she had the salt lick, as she was focusing her energy on that opposed to chewing the stall.
She is chewing the stall, because she is bored. Try giving her access to hay 24/7 in hay net or if the stall has a manger.
Or place a toy in her stall, that she can nibble and play w, to avoid her refocusing on chewing the stall.

Horses do not eat wood out of boredom. When they show a behavior like this they are trying to replace something they are not getting. We have video taped her in her stall while we are gone. She gets half a bale, twenty five pounds, of hay every night. She has some left the next day. Even on the first night she didn't act stressed in her stall. She had plenty of hay and there are two different toys in that stall. Once we left the salt block in there with her she licked in twice , the first night it was in there, for two fifteen minute intervals and then she never messed with the chewing.

Maverick101 10-02-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosexy4myspotz (Post 1189442)
Horses do not eat wood out of boredom. When they show a behavior like this they are trying to replace something they are not getting. We have video taped her in her stall while we are gone. She gets half a bale, twenty five pounds, of hay every night. She has some left the next day. Even on the first night she didn't act stressed in her stall. She had plenty of hay and there are two different toys in that stall. Once we left the salt block in there with her she licked in twice , the first night it was in there, for two fifteen minute intervals and then she never messed with the chewing.

Sorry this is an old wives tale. Horses do chew wood out of boredom, not cuz they magically know they are lacking minerals etc in their diet.

She may not seem "stressed" to you but a horse that has gone from pasture 24/7 to being stalled, even for a few hrs will show signs of boredom as she is not used being confined to a smaller space, so she is showing this by chewing on the wood. If you had her on the xact same diet and housed outside she wouldn't seek out trees or fences to chew on, she would graze and move about her paddock.
She will eventually get used to being housed in a stall and the wood chewing should stop, but it sometimes jst becomes a really bad habit, and horses will continue to do it. Its then that hay 24/7 or a mineral lick comes in handy as they can focus on that opposed to destroying the funiture :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 10-02-2011 12:59 PM

I believe alot of problems are caused by not letting horses be horses. I just dont get the lock em up in a stall thing. Not saying your horse isnt also lacking minerals but the stall lockup isnt helping. Horses are wide open spaces creatures, people are closed, live in a cave or hut kinda creature. So take how you would feel locked up in a stall, and multiply exponentially. Id probably be chewing at the boards too.

toosexy4myspotz 10-02-2011 01:35 PM

The stall thing is not something we cannot do right now. If she goes out in a pasture 24/7 she has to be out with one of gelding who would injury her seriously. I do not care what people opinions are on stalls and because horses are not cooped up animals. Horses are not in the wild anymore so therefore a lot of theirnherd instincts and wide open can not be achieved so easily. Consider this thread closed because I am not getting into this topic.

Maverick101 10-02-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosexy4myspotz (Post 1189482)
The stall thing is not something we cannot do right now. If she goes out in a pasture 24/7 she has to be out with one of gelding who would injury her seriously. I do not care what people opinions are on stalls and because horses are not cooped up animals. Horses are not in the wild anymore so therefore a lot of theirnherd instincts and wide open can not be achieved so easily. Consider this thread closed because I am not getting into this topic.

My horses are stalled as well over night...I'm not saying don't stall her....I'm merely suggesting not to fret about adding supplements etc to her diet, as the wood chewing is more likely due to boredom and adjustment to change not lack of minerals etc in her diet:)