The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Keeping tall boots shiny? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/keeping-tall-boots-shiny-99316/)

sweetxsour35 09-30-2011 09:18 PM

Keeping tall boots shiny?

I have to wear mine quite often (lessons and IEA shows) so I need to keep them super clean. Currently I wipe them down with a damp paper towel and polish them with Kiwi Outdoor leather polish. I have used Crisco on my paddock boots and it worked pretty well, but I am skeptical about using it on my tall boots.

Tips?
Posted via Mobile Device

VelvetsAB 09-30-2011 10:04 PM

Leather cleaner and conditioner are always a good choice.

sweetxsour35 09-30-2011 10:49 PM

What brands?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 09-30-2011 10:56 PM

A really good polish & conditioner I stumbled upon is Carr Day & Martin. Black boot polish & conditioner. Works great for biker leathers as well.

Rachel1786 10-06-2011 06:55 PM

I have my boyfriend shine my boots, he was in the navy for 4 years so he gets them to look really nice, unfortunately he hasn't done it in a while since he's been working a lot. Maybe I can get him to do it this weekend, they are looking kinda dirty. He uses lexol leather cleaner and conditioner and then just black shoe polish we got at walmat.

justjump 10-06-2011 07:38 PM

I use a leather cleaner/waterproofer/shiner called Urad. It works SOOOO well!! My boots aren't shiny but these make them look gorgeous. I recommend it for everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lifeofriley 10-07-2011 05:56 AM

Black boot polish on the outsides, Dubbin on the insides and then polished over the boot polish with your Dubbin rag. Beautiful & shiny and the Dubbin gives you a little extra grip on the inside
Posted via Mobile Device

beforetomorrow 10-08-2011 08:04 PM

legitimately ANYTHING by carr day & martin is amazing - even hermès sells it!
i know that to clean i'd use lexol cleaner and conditioner, it works really well, and to polish use carr day & martin or kiwi, and use a polishing brush all over the boot so that the friction works the polish in, finish off with a buffing cloth.
the best secret trick to an incredible shine AND to help your boots stop squeaking against your saddle is to rub them down with a pari old old tights or pantyhose (anything of that material)
works so well!

sweetxsour35 10-16-2011 07:02 PM

I just bought Lexol wipes. Will get some Kiwi polish tomorrow. and the tights trick worked! No more squeaking!
Posted via Mobile Device

beforetomorrow 10-16-2011 07:04 PM

Aha no problem :)
Posted via Mobile Device