The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Ankle stretches (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/ankle-stretches-99325/)

DraftyAiresMum 09-30-2011 10:24 PM

Ankle stretches

So, today was an amazing day and I actually RODE Aires for more than like two minutes. lol We made it about fifteen (would have gone longer), but my ankle started hurting something fierce. I wasn't bracing in the stirrup, but dropping my heel down started to really hurt. Anyway, I'm going to try a different saddle tomorrow (used the BO's synthetic Abetta today because I can lift it by myself...tomorrow might try his nice Circle Y that weighs two tons and have my friend [or the BO] help me lift it) to see if a different saddle and stirrups help any.

Anyway, I need to do something to help stretch out and loosen up my ankle. I'm wondering if doing calf stretches would help (stand on a stair with just the balls of your feet or toes on the edge and then drop your weight into your heels and stretch downward...used to do this when I played soccer and it was AMAZING). Any other ideas?

MHFoundation Quarters 09-30-2011 10:26 PM

That's what I do drafty. Most of the time it's on a gate in between horses lol!

DraftyAiresMum 09-30-2011 10:58 PM

LOL, MHFQ! I did these stretches was when I was working as a costumer on a local production of Sweeney Todd a few months ago. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I got a few of them to try it and pretty soon all of them were doing it. lol

MHFoundation Quarters 09-30-2011 11:00 PM

Being a costumer sounds fun!

ScharmLily 09-30-2011 11:01 PM

I always do those stretches on my left ankle before I ride....broke it 4 yrs ago and it is still super stiff.

DraftyAiresMum 09-30-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1188462)
Being a costumer sounds fun!

It was an absolute BLAST!! I also got to work the fog machine for the oven set piece, which was hella fun. Whenever someone got killed by Sweeney or anything like that happened, I'd send out a belch of "smoke." If you've ever seen the Broadway play, we were told by several people who had seen it in person that our production was better! :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScharmLily (Post 1188464)
I always do those stretches on my left ankle before I ride....broke it 4 yrs ago and it is still super stiff.

Sweet, Scharm. Good to know I'm on the right track. Last time I sprained my ankle was over ten years ago in high school playing soccer and I didn't have to do any dropping weight into my heels then. lol

waresbear 09-30-2011 11:10 PM

You need to stretch the hamstrings which attach to the ankles. Do jumpsquats & 180's. Kidding, only I do such goofy things, but then again I can kick the crap outta most peops. I kickbox, lets out all my aggression & keeps me ripped.

DraftyAiresMum 09-30-2011 11:13 PM

Yeah, I'm too fat to kickbox. :-P

I don't really have any aggression and any anger or frustration I have is best relieved by playing the piano. :-)

waresbear 09-30-2011 11:25 PM

You are not too fat to kickbox!!!!

DraftyAiresMum 09-30-2011 11:38 PM

I tried it once (okay, it was that Billy Blanks Tae Bo crap, but close enough for government work!)...yeah, my BFF and I ended up falling on the floor laughing because we simply did not have the requisite dexterity or limberness to actually do the moves correctly. :-P