The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   OTTB bloodlines good or "eh"? (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/ottb-bloodlines-good-eh-99328/)

shortysmalls 09-30-2011 10:43 PM

OTTB bloodlines good or "eh"?

Thought it'd be neat to know a little more about my trail horses background. He is a 9 y/o OTTB gelding. His registered name is Joey G. I cant remember his tat. He had 27 starts, 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. Raced for 3 years. He was also used for dressage and jumping 3 foot jumps. Is that any good? Also here's a 5X pedigree
Free 5-Cross Thoroughbred Pedigrees from equineline.com - Thoroughbred Pedigree now with Free Interactive Nicking
He has two triple crown winners on his sires side, but that's all I know.. I dont know much about TB bloodlines, and are any of them known for problems later on? This wont affect him though, hes just a lazy trail horse now and thats all hes gonna be :)
Thanks!

WildAcreFarms 10-18-2011 09:03 AM

nice pedigree

Your little OTTB has a very respectable Pedigree. he has bold Ruler several times who is one of the most famous stallions in racing history, Sire of Secretariat and more importantly is considered one of the top stallion lines, also Northern dancer is a big one in there several times, Nasrullah is another VERY famous race horse. Native dancer is another big time race horse.

Yes I'd say he has a very nice pedigree. I suggest a book called "the top 100 TBs of the last 100 Years" it's a great introduction to TB history (recent) and tells the story winning records of the top 100 horses of the past 100 years.
WAF

Endiku 10-18-2011 11:43 AM

Well his bloodlines aren't something to laugh at, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you ask) there is so much line breeding done that just about any respectable racehorse has atleast one or two big names in his breeding ;)

cooperandsandy717 10-18-2011 11:48 AM

He looks like he has pretty good bloodlines. He actually has a lot of the same horses in his pedigree as my TB has! I was looking at some of the horses and I know Northern Dancer had some really nice champion hunter foals!

nicole25 10-18-2011 12:11 PM

I recognized a lot of those names like above posters stated. He does have some line breeding but they are all reputable names that it cancels out the bad.

lilruffian 10-18-2011 12:18 PM

His pedigree actually isn't that bad! Better than alot of OTTB's i've seen.
The sire, though he only won 4 races placed in over half of his career starts and is a son of the famous A.P.Indy (a son of Seattle slew :D)
It doesn't look as though the dam raced, but she has decent lineage, especially on her sire's side.

PerchiesKisses 10-18-2011 12:45 PM

The first name that jumps out at me is A.P. Indy ... a very repitable sire, and winner of the Breeders Cup Classic, Belmont Stakes and other Grade 1 races.
The next name is Seattle Slew, AP Indy's sire. A Triple Crown winner and the ONLY Triple Crown winner to win the Triple Crown as an undefeated racehorse.
Then there is Secretariat who is... well... Secretariat.
Then Buckpasser. A wonder colt who won 15 races in a row and racked in several titles including Horse Of The Year.
Then I see Mr. Prospector who is a leading sire seen in almost all pedigrees nowadays.
Then Northern Dancer, who's already been mentioned, same as Bold Ruler...
And lastly I see Princequillo.. who was apparently smuggled out of Germany and imported to the US as a weanling where he was then sold and won some impressive races for his new owners including the Saratoga Handicap and Jockey Club Gold Cup. he is considered a superb sire and better broodmare sire, being pinned as a horse who carried the "X Factor Heart" (found in Secretariat) and also known for correcting leg and soundness problems in the mares he bred.

JumpersRule 10-29-2011 03:43 PM

I agree with everyone above! The thing about Thoroughbred breeding is that you will often see lots of line breeding within the breed. I have many friends who own OTTBs and all of them have some form of line breeding. It's almost inevitable within Thoroughbred breeding.

I say he has quite a nice pedigree! :)