The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Managing a Long Mane: Makeover Edition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/managing-long-mane-makeover-edition-99385/)

kindredspirit 10-01-2011 10:20 PM

Managing a Long Mane: Makeover Edition

Let me preface this by saying that I do not do shows...I trail ride and keep my horses as pets if that influences the suggestion.

Here are my two - the one of the left, is my mustang mare Maggie and she has the thickest mane and tail ever! I am looking for suggestions as to what I can do with it other than have it awkwardedly trimmed short. I obviously don't want to keep it long long as it is, but I also do not trim it up incredibly short. I've never braided before but would consider doing that as well if it's something that can stay in for a while. Her tail touches the ground and then some (but I already trimmed it up to the base of her pastern to keep it from dragging). Ideas? For sure I will be thinning it out. I will post pictures once I settle on an idea :)

I really just want to change it up a bit and feel clueless, haha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...54407640_o.jpg

and for fun: this is her forelock and how fuzzy it can get :-P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._7061880_o.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._4366152_o.jpg

twogeldings 10-01-2011 10:56 PM

Divo has a very thick, long, mane and I keep it washed, conditioned, and braided 24/7. I HATE cutting manes and tails! :D Braiding keeps it neat and clean, and is easy to take down and brush out for a really pretty look.

Red, on the other hand, used to have a very long but STRAIGHT mane (until Loki came along...it's growing back nicely now). I don't keep his braided because it takes care of itself. I'll braid it if it gets very long, but otherwise don't bother. Stays pretty well and tangle-free, easy to manage.

ScharmLily 10-02-2011 08:01 AM

Personally, I would leave it, but I love long manes ;)
My arab gelding's mane is near his shoulder and for the same reasons you were saying, I decided to braid it last week. However, after just a few days of being braided, my horse (who never rubbed his mane- hence why it is so long) was trying to rub it. The same thing happened to my mare, who also has a long mane. I decided that it was best just to leave it- I mean, that's how it got so long anyway.

ETA: And I am not referring to the horse in my avatar! That's my old man who only ever grew half a mane...I eventually trimmed it into a mohawk because it was so thin near his withers.

kindredspirit 10-02-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 1189123)
Divo has a very thick, long, mane and I keep it washed, conditioned, and braided 24/7. I HATE cutting manes and tails! :D Braiding keeps it neat and clean, and is easy to take down and brush out for a really pretty look.

I hate cutting it, too. I think I will at least braid up her tail! Thanks for the input :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScharmLily (Post 1189312)
Personally, I would leave it, but I love long manes ;)
My arab gelding's mane is near his shoulder and for the same reasons you were saying, I decided to braid it last week. However, after just a few days of being braided, my horse (who never rubbed his mane- hence why it is so long) was trying to rub it. The same thing happened to my mare, who also has a long mane. I decided that it was best just to leave it- I mean, that's how it got so long anyway.

ETA: And I am not referring to the horse in my avatar! That's my old man who only ever grew half a mane...I eventually trimmed it into a mohawk because it was so thin near his withers.

My boy Corkey has super thin hair...the polar opposite of Maggie, hehe. I've considered mohawk-ing it because it's scraggly. He's the one in my avatar. His tail is really sparse as well. Surprisingly though, the rest of his body is SUPER shiny and healthy that people tell me how sparkling he is :D

Cinder 10-02-2011 10:39 AM

I would trim just a tad and then braid it. Nothing fancy just long braids like you would do on a human. (Not sure what they're called in horse world. I always get the braid names mixed up). That should help keep them manageable. Then every few days or so pull the braids out and give the mane a nice brush/comb through (I prefer using brushes sometimes because the combs just tend to pull out the hairs. But you use whatever you like better).

Pawsnfur 10-04-2011 08:24 PM

My filly, just under a year, has a nice mane that needs a little trimming and care, but she somehow lost about a 4 inch chunk out of the middle, which is now about 3-4 inches long and the rest of her mane is about 8 inches long. Should I cut it all to be even, or braid it up while it grows?
She looks ridiculous

Calmwaters 10-04-2011 08:47 PM

OP-I agree braid it to keep it neat but do not cut it.

Paws for yours I would cut it even and then let it grow out.

Hoss 10-05-2011 09:23 AM

i suggest a running braid on a long thick mane. they hold nicely, look nice, and keeps the mane out of your way. plus you don't have any long braids getting in the way of your hands. it looks hard, but it isn't. there's lots of tutorials on youtube.

http://groomthathorse.webs.com/photo...0/DSCI0634.JPG

caseymyhorserocks 10-08-2011 12:48 AM

I would recommend not braiding, because of mosquitos, flies, etc... It keeps them off (and if you do the running braid, they cant use the mane to help whisk them off) And in winter, they are waterproof (at least my horses thinish mane) and will keep their neck dry .. Just my opinion! :-) And also, if you do regular braids (not the running braid above) but regular ones just seperate ones that run down the neck, I feel like when a horse shakes his/her head, it wouldnt feel to nice .. If you have ever shaken a head with braids (multiple, not one) you would know!! I mean we might not care.. But a horse could be a confused and spooked... Now I do braid my horse's mane for shows (only the day of), and I brush it out well the day before but not braid it the day before (usually)

kindredspirit 10-08-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 1191784)
i suggest a running braid on a long thick mane. they hold nicely, look nice, and keeps the mane out of your way. plus you don't have any long braids getting in the way of your hands. it looks hard, but it isn't. there's lots of tutorials on youtube.

beautiful! I think I am going to try that first!