The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Preparing for a horse show help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/preparing-horse-show-help-99420/)

laughing 10-02-2011 03:14 PM

Preparing for a horse show help

I have a Quarab gelding who is um... a pig. Plain and simple. Because of this he decides it's perfectly alright to put his head between the stall bars and venture his lips to steal other horse's hay, hay that was dropped in the walk way, etc. And due to this his mane is basically a wreck.

He also tends to be in the sun (I live in a VERY sunny place) so his mane and tail are bleached. He has a black hair but now there's hints of reds and browns in it. It looks really "dingy" and not flattering at all.

Lastly, it isn't very healthy. I have no control over what he's fed (unfortunately) and it seems he doesn't get enough nutrients/fats/vitamins to properly grow out a mane/tail to be thick, elastic, and shiny. His instead is "crispy" as I like to call it and has the texture of almost hay in his tail, plus it isn't straight making it look all tangled and messed constantly.

How the heck do I tame this and make him look nice and pretty for the show?! I plan on doing a running braid along his crest for his mane so tips on blackening the mane + shining it up would be nice. The tail I am plaiting the top and REALLY need to black it out more + smooth it out + make it look shiny and healthy. (Because it isn't. :oops:)

Oh! And does anyone know how to make black leg markings blacker? That's gotten bleached some too and I'd like it black again!

THANK YOU!

nicole25 10-03-2011 12:59 AM

Why don't you have any control over what YOUR horse is fed?
Posted via Mobile Device

laughing 10-03-2011 01:03 AM

I don't own him. He's 'mine' only as far as care and training. It's a pretty bad situation and have decided to leave for a new opportunity but this is what I have now. It's a long story.
Posted via Mobile Device

nicole25 10-03-2011 01:12 AM

Sounds a bit odd. I would talk to the owner or someone about this issue because that's a pretty big gap in needed nutrition. As far as your original question, there isn't anything you can use to make a mane blacker. Health comes from the inside out.
Posted via Mobile Device

DejaVu 10-03-2011 08:15 PM

I agree with discussing things over with his owner about his feed. Flax seed is a common ingredient that's very beneficial to the coat. Paprika, as well can help with any sun bleaching.

Otherwise, a new show list product, as well as a daily grooming additive for me is extra virgin coconut oil.

Not greasy at all, gives a very light, healthy looking shine, and over time with regular use softens tremendously. I've only used it about two weeks now, and my geldings tail is comparably softer, and it has a nice little sheen to it. I highly recommend that for regular grooming.

I dropped all other products and have been using just water and coconut oil only, on the mane and tails. It's definitely working, and it's only been two weeks.

You can dye the mane and tail with just regular human dye. Just don't leave it in as long as the directions say. It depends on your horse, but my gelding is fine with just about 6 minutes before I wash the dye out.

For his legs, I use another human product-Roux - Roux Fanci-Full Temporary Color Rinse Black Rage

Do a small bit on the inside on his leg to make sure he doesn't have a reaction to it, and if all is well, just spread it over his lower leg. After the show, you can just wash it off with water. You can also use it on the mane and tail, if you're not comfortable with dying it. I just prefer dye, since it shows up better.

dream big 10-03-2011 08:19 PM

Dye his tail black. I used to do that with my old grey mare. For his mane, try a deep conditioner or google something for dry hair for horses. I'm sure there is something out there for it! There is also black leg spray for horses. I don't know the name of it, but my barn uses it for the big shows to enhance their appearance.

As for your horses health, if it's really that bad, you need to tell his real owners (or whoever is taking care of him) that he is not getting the proper nutrition that he needs.

tank 10-09-2011 08:16 PM

I heard you couls use Hena to die their manes and tails black, Ive never tried it though. Also, the flax seed idea sounds about right.