The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Falling Off Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/falling-off-help-9944/)

HorseLuva15 06-09-2008 04:44 PM

Falling Off Help?

Ok, so I have been riding for about 3 years and I have never fallen off. The reason: Because I have these extremely long legs ( I am 5 9 , and I have a short waist and looong legs). So because of this, I stay on. I have come so close to falling off of my adorable 16 2 tb, but my legs save me. Well, I am going xc this year, and I mean, I am going to have to fall off sometime?! right? :P

So - any help, what were your *first falling off stories* - love to hear them, and any tips on what to do when a very tall teen falls off a somewhat tall horse? lol, thanks! :lol:

moomoo 06-09-2008 05:13 PM

All I can say is, get back on :D immediately :wink: :P

and try not to land on your head :lol:

HorseLuva15 06-09-2008 05:31 PM

LOL :P Thanks - I will try to remember, when in mid air, not to land on my head! LOL thanks!

PoptartShop 06-09-2008 05:42 PM

LOL I always get back on after I fall...too addicted to riding I guess? lol! :lol: If you do fall, just get back on. Shows your confidence!

Vidaloco 06-09-2008 05:44 PM

The only advise I can give is WEAR A HELMET!
I know they look silly but so does drool running down your chin after a head injury :lol:

JustDressageIt 06-09-2008 08:41 PM

My first fall was when I was 4. I was cantering for the first time and a dog ran up to the arena door, barked, and spooked the horse I was on. The horse literally stopped on a dime (didn't balk or buck or anything, just stopped) and off I came.
I must ahve a gazillion falls under my belt now though.... haha

sempre_cantando 06-09-2008 09:27 PM

My first fall was in a lesson. I hadn't been cantering for long and so I wasn't especially good at it lol Well anyway, I was cantering the pony around when he shied and I fell off. I wasn't hurt though and I got straight back on. I think my instructor was more scared than me!

The 'good' thing about falling off (not that its good!) is that it usually happens so fast you don't have time to be scared. By the time you realise your falling, you've already hit the ground! Sometimes you fall slower like if you try to grab onto the horse and stop yourself from falling. These are the falls that scared me the most because I can remember the most about them. Plus, you can tend to land closer to the horse's legs and are more likely to get stepped on if you try to grab on.

Generally, falls don't do much more damage than a sore muscles and bruises the next day. I've fallen off lots and lots of times but the worst that's happened to me was a fractured arm (but it was a minor fracture).

My2Geldings 06-10-2008 12:53 AM

Try to roll. Easier said then done but if you can somehow find a way in which you can roll when you fall, you will be less likely to get hurt. Falling on an outstretched hand is also a bad bad thing to do. I did that and I'm still paying for it now.

Jubilee Rose 06-10-2008 10:30 AM

I agree, try to roll. And get out of the way of the horse, because you don't want him to step on you. This lady I know fell off her rearing horse. She was fine until the horse cantered off, bucking, and kicked her in the jaw with his hindleg. Ouch.

My first fall, I was riding a little Arab barrel-racer. We were galloping, and he turned a sharp corner near the barn. I kind of just slipped off the side. Probably in slow-mo too. Haha.

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-10-2008 11:47 AM

My best advice would be to practice your emergency dismounts. More than once or twice. Untill you are dismounting like a rodeo clown on a slip n' slide. I have a really good friend that is possibly the most reckless man on horseback I have ever seen. He has been thrown through the air( landed on his neck) and most recently he was reared up on and had the horse roll over him. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he is really good at dismounts. He is one that you call when you are getting nervous to come check out the horse and give it a ride...lol... GOsh I love him.. he's such a good guy... ANYWAYS....lol He is the King of dismounts. He will tell you awwwww.. Your not gonna get hurt as long as you know when to leave. And he's right. Lots of people tell you to HANG ON but... if you can learn to recognize that point in the situation where you are losing control...its best to just dismount safely and roll out of the way than to try to "cowboy" your way through it. Besides.. You can get back on if your not laying on the ground sucking wind. :wink: