The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Ever heard Lightning hit a building??? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/ever-heard-lightning-hit-building-9945/)

carriedenaee 06-09-2008 04:58 PM

Ever heard Lightning hit a building???

Lightning hitting a building has to be one of the loudest things i have ever heard!
couple of wweeks ago on the 27th it hit my office building...it was a really loud pop and the whole inside lit up blue...it was crazy..luckily noone was hurt but it fried our whole network, all of our servers, half our computers, the alarm system, phone system, and a copier

smoke filled the hallway and my room...it smelled like an electrical fire (which stinks really bad) but nothing caught on fire

i now have a brand new Vista computer(awe crud) and we are almost to where we are 100% functional again!

it was loud...i think my ears rang for 2 hours afterwards...anyone else ever been in a building with a metal roof that got hit by lightning???? or near something that was

PoptartShop 06-09-2008 05:43 PM

Wow, that must've been scary! :shock: I never heard that before, nor do I want to, LOL!

Vidaloco 06-09-2008 06:04 PM

I've been close to a tree being hit but never a building. Must have been deafening. I want to know how far you jumped :lol: I would have fallen out of my chair.

buckaroo2010 06-09-2008 08:56 PM

Yeah when we re buliding my hourse my dad was down in the basement working on a ladder and lightening hit our neighbors houses AC and it was so close that it traveled thorugh the ground and struck my dad!!! thank god he was on a wood ladder cause he would be dead if it was a metal laddder! :( but he was ok it knocked him on the ground but he later was able to get up and now one his hands he cant hold his last 3 fingers straight there all crooked :lol:

My2Geldings 06-10-2008 01:42 AM

Glad to hear he escaped serious or even fatal injury. One of the boarder's horses (close friend) and a horse I rode for her all the time was next to the barn during a lightning storm when he was hit and killed instantly.
About 3 years before that at my old barn during a storm a neighboring metal barn was hit and killed 5 horses that were inside. It happens a lot more than what people think.

carriedenaee 06-10-2008 09:04 AM

wow buckaroo im glad your dad was ok!!

wasnt gonna say it Vida but i jumped up and went to run but went right smack into a wall :oops: lol

i have heard stories of it happening bu tnever thought i would see it personally!!!!
hope i dont have to anymore either

the girl across from me went under her desk...we werent sure what it was at first...till the guy in the back said he saw it strike

i always thought that lightning was pretty when it really put on a show but i hope it stays far away now!!!!!!

My2Geldings 06-10-2008 10:37 AM

I have heard of people saying there are certain sets of rules where a horse barefoot and out in a pasture with lots of trees, lower grounds should never get hit-but from the people I personally know who have gone thru this it's obvious that those rules can be completely bypassed and accidents still happen.

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-10-2008 12:40 PM

We were at camp one time when a storm blew up. My hubby and I were picking up everything before the rain started and I saw lightening on the next hill that was maybe 300 yards away and .....BOOM, Crack, RUMBLE, Shake...it was so close you could feel the electricity in the air.... Well I hit the ground scared as can be...( I didn't know I could move that fast) and Bill thought I got hit! :shock: He yelled out AAAAAMMMMYYYYY! LOL... I just snarled back WHAAAT? .... I didn't know he thought I was dead! :oops: He asked if I was ok and about that time the rain just POURED out of the sky! The kids were already in the suburban and we picked up the rest and hopped in the truck looking like drowned rats. It wasn't until later that day when we were setting camp back up that he told me that I scared him to death by dropping down and that he thought I had gotten hit by the lightening. :lol:

kim_angel 06-10-2008 03:24 PM

My father got struck by lightening in his foot many years ago. There was one of the trail riding girls leaning against his shoulder and she felt the zap as well. It burned a hole in my dad's shoe, but didnt hurt him... amazingly enough.

Lightening is some pretty scary stuff though, thats for sure.

:shock:

TaMMa89 06-12-2008 06:04 PM

There was a house hit by lightening close to my grandma's home. It was a really arresting sight. Because the house was wooden there was a huge crack choping one of the wall (made by the lightening, I reckon). If you peeked into the house you could see that everything there was went up in flames. Luckily the dwellwers were away when the lightening hit.