The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need General Training/Maintenance Info for Hunter Jumper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-general-training-maintenance-info-hunter-99479/)

hrm12 10-03-2011 01:02 PM

Need General Training/Maintenance Info for Hunter Jumper

Hello,

I am doing a research project and I need to find some very basic and general information on training and maintaining hunter jumper horses. Could anyone provide me with such information or let me know where online I could find it? Everything I am finding is too specific-- tips and tricks, problem solving, etc. I know nothing about horses so I really need the basics to answer questions like: How old should you break and start training a hunter jumper? How often should you train (i.e. daily)? What is the basic training process/progression? How should you maintain and care for a hunter jumper? What resources are required to do so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Lakotababii 10-03-2011 08:05 PM

I think the reason you are having trouble finding answers is because the answers to your questions are very broad. Most of the very basic care for a horse is the same across all disciplines. However, food and water intake (diet), supplements, work schedule, tack and equipment, and training methods all vary at least a little bit from person to person.

You are probably going to get different answers to each of your questions, depending on who you ask.

For example "How old should you break and start training a hunter jumper?"

This can be answered in many ways. First off, you never start specific breaking until you've got your basics down, and each horse learns at a different pace.. The horse first needs to know how to walk trot and canter. I have heard people starting to lightly break at 2 years. But then again I would personally wait until at least 3 to even consider a canter under saddle. I wouldn't jump them or work them hard til their knees closed. So it really depends.

Same with frequency of training. Some people work their horses 6 days a week, some maybe only 2 or 3.

The hardest question of yours to answer would be the basic training process. There are probably hundreds out there, and they all vary. But the general consensus is this: Groundwork, introduction to saddle work, then saddle work. How these steps are carried out, however, is highly debated and there are tons of different ways to do it.

Sorry, this may not be the answer you wanted, but there are so many variables here, and that's if something didn't go wrong in the process of breaking.