The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Debating whether to cut mane for show... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/debating-whether-cut-mane-show-99524/)

Ace80908 10-03-2011 10:06 PM

Debating whether to cut mane for show...

1 Attachment(s)
I have been getting my three year old mare ready to haul down to the APHA world show - it'a a fun road trip for me and my 18 year old daughter, and we will be showing Whiskey in the speed events for fun as well as horsemanship - which leads me to my question...

We aren't going to be competitive, I just started her under saddle four months ago, but we are doing well enough we won't be embarrassed, either... I was thinking of for her horsemanship class of banding her mane and using a fake tail, she is reining bred and may end up going that way - here's her pic -

What do you think? Ps - this is a pic of my friend Samantha riding ...

Ace80908 10-03-2011 10:09 PM

I just really hate to cut it.... It is really healthy and not too thick...

BornToRun 10-03-2011 10:51 PM

I'd leave it, it looks too beautiful to cut!

Ace80908 10-03-2011 11:02 PM

I just clipped her face down, and her bridle path and ears... so that's all really tidy - I thought I would do a double band... to show the judge I am not just trying not to groom - I figure I am not clean enough in my patterns yet to be a threat to the real horsemanship competitors, so it's not like the mane is going to make me or break me... I just don't want to be sloppy, either...

raywonk 10-03-2011 11:05 PM

If you are going for fun and Horsemanship is the only class I would not cut it. It is not common to see but I do know of a friend who was very successful with a mare in wp and never cut her main. She is a big time trainer but on that horse just could not do it. So if you realy do not want to dont.

Calmwaters 10-04-2011 08:52 PM

I agree I would not cut it.

Ace80908 10-04-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks all, I am going to do a practice banding session this weekend and we'll see how it looks.

Cheers, Kris

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-04-2011 11:35 PM

I'm usually the first one to cry when someone suggests cutting or pulling a mane but if you're going to the World show and planning to show in anything that would normally call for a short, banded mane I would do it. It's generally taken as disrespectful to the judge to be less than perfectly groomed to the standard for the discipline. At a local backyard show not so much a worry but at a World competition, yeah, I'd cut and band.

Ace80908 10-05-2011 12:07 AM

I understand, dreamcatcher - and agree with you on many levels, it will after all, grow back - since I am doing barrels, poles, and stake on Saturday and Sunday, and then putting her in horsemanship on Monday morning, I am considering showing her long maned in the speed, taking our World Pics with her long mane, then pulling, trimming, and banding before her horsemanship class on Monday, then taking her horsemanship pics with mane short and banded... that way we look the part - and you never know, we could get lucky in the pattern and actually place :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-05-2011 01:21 AM

Yup Ace, it can happen and that would be a very suitable compromise. Since I'm all about Arabians, I hate short manes but I know that when I've helped someone get ready for Pinto Worlds or a QH type competition, and lamented the cutting off of a lovely mane they always say it's important to do it all the way or stay home.