The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Care Tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/care-tips-99525/)

Reggieluver 10-03-2011 10:19 PM

Care Tips

So I'm a new horse owner, and I want to take very good care of my horse (hes 18, but in really good shape) how can I keep him as healthy and happy as possible. We usually do hunter/jumper stuff. Thanks for your help! :-)

raywonk 10-03-2011 10:29 PM

Do you board or do you keep him at home?

Tianimalz 10-03-2011 10:37 PM

That is a really broad subject to try and cover all in one thread... if you try dividing up the different branches of horse care taking, you would probably get better replies ;) But a good how-to book from the local library never hurts.

ChingazMyBoy 10-03-2011 10:51 PM

Making sure that your horse isn't over worked - not jumped too many times a week. Is de-wormed and kept up to date with vaccinations. Always seeing the farrier, dentist, ciro at the correct times and that they have fresh water supplies, correct diet and nothing unsafe (wire, weeds, etc. ) in their paddocks.

Grooming your horse regularly isn't just to keep your horse looking nice but it is also really good for their overall help.

Also making sure that all your tack correctly fits and is placed correctly. Generally - your horse will be happy if he is healthy and kept out of harms way as best as possible. A while ago I wrote quiet a large document about taking care of your first horse, I can post it for you if you wish.

Chingaz,

Reggieluver 10-04-2011 07:38 PM

Thanks so much!

candandy49 10-06-2011 01:22 PM

Even though at having been 45 years old, am now a 62y/o great-grandmother, when I got my own first horse I did have many years of experience with horses. My first actual experience with showing at halter showmanship was with Shetland Ponies at local Fairs. Those horses owned by friends and my hiring myself out as a handler and barn help served me well in getting to handle many different horse personalities in my younger years.

Even though actual horse handling is a good learning experience I thoroughly believe in "book reading and learning" along with the physical handling of the horse. One reference book I found by happenstance is "Basic Horse Care" by Eleanor F. Prince and Gaydell M. Collier. I do have a good many books in my personal library on all aspects of horse handling and training.