The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feeding grass pellets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feeding-grass-pellets-99538/)

Idlepastures 10-04-2011 12:23 AM

Feeding grass pellets?

As many know, the drought in Texas has made things hard on livestock owners. While I am blessed to have a source of hay, I also own two major hay burners. I'm having to limit hay due to the fact that my source may/may not always have hay when I need it. I hate limiting hay, especially since they are so skinny :(

So I've been thinking about adding in grass pellets, something like these -
Standlee Hay Certified Premium Timothy Grass Hay Pellets, 40 lb. - 5121819 | Tractor Supply Company

Do you think this would help keep them fuller, their gut working, and keep them from burning through the hay?

Left Hand Percherons 10-04-2011 09:43 AM

Absolutely, you can stretch your current hay supply with grass pellets. You will replace hay for pellets in equal amounts # for #. You will be shocked how much you are paying for pellets. That 40# bag is going for $9 right now here and the price has risen just like everything else. At $9 that works out to $450/ton. Is hay still cheaper? If you do go with pellets, they store very well so I'd get enough to last.

MHFoundation Quarters 10-04-2011 09:57 AM

As LHP said, it will definitely help stretch your hay. I'm fortunate enough to not be dealing with the shortage and praying for those of you who are.

I do use alfalfa cubes though for my old man who hasn't got a full mouth anymore. They make a great mash and he gets more out of it than trying to pick through hay. For one horse I don't mind the added expense. It does cost me double for the cubes by weight, I pay $8 for a 50 lb bag of cubes and bales of straight alfala (65-75 lb bales) are running $4 a bale here.
Posted via Mobile Device

dee 10-04-2011 12:08 PM

You can also add soaked beet pulp to help stretch your hay further...

Corporal 10-04-2011 12:43 PM

Sounds good to me. IF alfalfa cubes/pellets were cheaper than the real thing, I might just buy the 50 lb bags! I always travel with a bag of same, just in case. I wrap the bag in a plastic garbage bag (when trailering) in the case of rain. I put any leftover in one of my grain cans. It doesn't have an expiration date, so it's safe to feed whenever.
=( SO sorry about the drought!! =(

.Delete. 10-04-2011 12:45 PM

I would most certainly look into Alfalfa cubes/pellets. They may be more expensive but you can feed less of it. Alfalfa is a high digestible energy feed with a low Heat Increment, great for high temp climates. Goodluck!

Idlepastures 10-04-2011 02:12 PM

Thank you everyone! Im also considering slow feed hay bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

mammakatja 10-05-2011 11:36 PM

I too am interested in what folks have to say about hay stretchers. I'm from TX as well. Bought round bales for $30-45 a roll last year. Called on them today and was quoted $110 a roll. Square bales are going for $10-15 a bale even for the cheap johnson grass. And there's no end to this drought in site. My husband is about to broadcast some winter rye seed to possibly get some grass going out there for the winter but its a little difficult to start seed without rain. It's scary for us.

dee 10-06-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammakatja (Post 1192619)
I too am interested in what folks have to say about hay stretchers. I'm from TX as well. Bought round bales for $30-45 a roll last year. Called on them today and was quoted $110 a roll. Square bales are going for $10-15 a bale even for the cheap johnson grass. And there's no end to this drought in site. My husband is about to broadcast some winter rye seed to possibly get some grass going out there for the winter but its a little difficult to start seed without rain. It's scary for us.

We are expecting rain this weekend - probably won't be much, but every little bit helps! We, too, are broadcasting winter rye in hopes of getting some sort of ground cover on our bare pasture...not to mention a little grazing.

Here's to hoping we both get rain!

Joe4d 10-06-2011 06:58 PM

I rode at kaluah (sp) ranch on Oahu in Hawaii, they have no hay, and something about the grass makes it totally useless to horses, they feed there horses exclusivly an alfalfa/timothy cube. They looked fine to me.