The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I can see the way through what has been very thick clouds! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-can-see-way-through-what-99564/)

netty83 10-04-2011 10:35 AM

I can see the way through what has been very thick clouds!

At last - i finally got on a horse today and i didn't feel one ounce of nerves!!!!!!!! i actually enjoyed it and was able to keep my horse walking out nice and actively actually keeping up with my friend so she was relieved of the usual neck ache trying to turn round and talk to me. i haven't been free from nerves in years and it felt amazing. I had an episode with a 3 yr old andalucian x cob a couple weeks ago, my friend got this horse and wasn't told that he had never been on his own before so he kept galloping around the field trying every way to get out including galloping into the gate. i have been working with a friend of mine with rehab horses and really soaking up every bit of info she has provided so anyway i had gone to my friends and the youngster was barging the gate trying to get out so i thought i'd put myself to the test and as he got close to the gate at full speed i threw my energy out at him and made myself more scarier than him charging the gate. i did actually roar at him but that was not intentional it just came out :lol: anyway this had the desired effect and he stood at the gate quietly and calmly and let me rub on him. Ever since then i have found some confidence from somewhere and i'm challenging myself more each day. I'm so excited and hope now that i'm not frightened or too nervous try to new things. I had to share with you all as normally my posts are full of how nervous and lacking in confidence i am.:D I like to think that i roared the Bulls@*! out of me that day and am now just left with my passion for horses once again:D

tinyliny 10-04-2011 02:42 PM

Hope you didn't roar all the Bull$#@& out of you. Always wise to keep some in reserve.

Congrats! It is amazing that once you learn that for the most part, horses can be fairly easily buffaloed, you stop being so scared of them. Then you start working on seeing how LITTLE it can take to buffaloe them. or rather to get the response that you want. Might take a LOT at first, though. But now you know how much it can take and that you , too, can do it.

netty83 10-04-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1191281)
Hope you didn't roar all the Bull$#@& out of you. Always wise to keep some in reserve.

Congrats! It is amazing that once you learn that for the most part, horses can be fairly easily buffaloed, you stop being so scared of them. Then you start working on seeing how LITTLE it can take to buffaloe them. or rather to get the response that you want. Might take a LOT at first, though. But now you know how much it can take and that you , too, can do it.

thanks Tiny. I struggle sometimes with upping my energy rather than staying polite but i'm learning this. I had another learning experience tonight with a rehab horse he made me realise that a plan can change and i don't have to always stick to the original plan and also to not get fixed on getting the job done. He was trying to tell me that he didn't want to come into the barn so i could place the wheelbarrow down and i missed the subtle things that were indicators as i was concentrating on getting the barrow into the barn and he did a fairly big run back although he didn't rear. I handled it well but i learned that i shouldn't have been so focused on the barrow and should have been willing to adapt/change plans as needed but i can learn from these experiences and get it right the next time.