The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Possible tip for Austalian saddle pad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/possible-tip-austalian-saddle-pad-99601/)

bsms 10-04-2011 07:39 PM

Possible tip for Austalian saddle pad

I normally ride our horses with DownUnder Australian style saddles. I originally used a pad from DownUnder, and then tried an English pad made of cotton. After playing around, I started using a cheap (<$20) wool/acrylic Navajo blanket.

I liked it better because with the other pads, when I took the saddle off, I found the horse's hair had wrinkles and went in different directions. The Navajo blanket doesn't do that - the hair is always smooth and all going in the same direction.

I just received a Mayatex 100% New Zealand wool blanket I ordered from Jeffers (Hunter Bend Saddle Blanket) for $41. Although it is 'one thickness', that one thickness is as thick as the folded blanket I've been using. At 34" long x 36" wide, it is longer & wider than the folded 30x60 blanket.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but it looks great for an Australian saddle. The saddle is padded enough that I don't need an actual pad, but the thick wool provides some extra padding and makes (IMHO) a good-looking, thick but not too thick, resilient 'pad'. It is MUCH nicer than the pad I bought from DownUnder (Trail Rider Comfort Pad) for $59 (28" long x 36" wide). And it is New Zealand wool, which sounds pretty authentic to me...:-)

I'll try riding with it tomorrow, and update. Maybe with pictures.

somoni 10-06-2011 09:45 PM

I ride english,but I like Australian sheepskin dressage saddle pad

I ride english,but I like Australian Merino sheepskin dressage saddle pad from WelcomeGet. I used to google it for more info about how to clean the wool. I also dont know if it can stay the shape after one year. But after I use it for a year,it turn out that my worries is unnecessary.

Joe4d 10-06-2011 09:52 PM

I like the thick fleece one with the saddle bags made in at horse.com.