The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Poops CONSTANTLY (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-poops-constantly-99614/)

Tokoneki 10-05-2011 12:54 AM

Horse Poops CONSTANTLY

Background: Scarlet is on 1 scoop of Strategy, BID with a scoop of electrolytes because Florida is hot and she sweats a lot when we ride. Occasionally gets a cup of bran thrown in with her feed, maybe once a week or so.

The issue: When we go on trail rides...(riding along the street, in woods, on major highways, neighborhoods, to the store, etc.) Scarlet poops CONSTANTLY. As in so many times, I lose count. And majority of the time, the poop isn't well formed...it's slightly runny, soft or green. A lot of the time she will poop and some runny poo comes out with it and it runs down her legs and makes for a nasty stain on a pretty white horse.

She doesn't spook and does pretty well on trails. Tolerates noises and cars just fine.

So what could this possibly be? Nervous? Anxious? Idk....

Annnie31 10-05-2011 11:31 AM

Assuming she has an otherwise clean bill of health, no worms, no bad teeth, etc.
Some horses simply process their anxiety via their digestive system. She seems to be this type of horse. Instead of showing her anxiety outward, she keeps it inside and it comes out the other end (her tension release).
Is she new to her surroundings or is this something that has been ongoing for a very long time? Changing her diet will not take away the stress so I think perhaps if she is newer to her surroundings it is best to take it slowly with her when she is being intorduced to something new. Dont throw too much at her at once to see if she settles down.
There are some herbal remedies for this type of problem, but I would have her checked out thoroughly by your vet first to make sure she doesnt have any internal issues: Example: she could perhaps have ulcers and riding her is upsetting her system. Talk to your vet.

bubba13 10-05-2011 01:27 PM

Yes, I would say it's "just" nerves. Though if she is that nervous all the time, I would begin to wonder about ulcers. Does she have normal stool when not being ridden?

Tokoneki 10-05-2011 01:31 PM

Her poop is otherwise normal. She also pees a lot on the trail too and her head is carried high. So I'm assuming it's nerves?:-(

bubba13 10-05-2011 01:33 PM

The peeing thing isn't all that normal. Well, I guess it's normal for some horses, but I've not found it to be all that common. Is she a hussy of a mare?

Speed Racer 10-05-2011 01:35 PM

Yup, I vote nerves as well.

Casper's a nervous, watery pooper too, when we're somewhere unfamiliar. Which for him, is pretty much every place on the planet! :-x :-P

Tokoneki 10-05-2011 01:56 PM

How can I get her over this? Its embarassing and gross lol
Posted via Mobile Device

dee 10-05-2011 02:04 PM

The only way that might get her over it is constant exposure -theoretically, she'd eventually get used to it and relax. Daughter's horse is a lot like yours - get her under saddle and the poop/gas factory kick into overdrive. It's a little embarassing, but harmless. It does make daughter's horse the butt of a lot of jokes, though...

VelvetsAB 10-05-2011 03:59 PM

Another vote for nerves.

Really, you should be happy she is pooping, because the alternate could be deadly.