The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I think I went a little bit overboard... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-think-i-went-little-bit-99627/)

blue eyed pony 10-05-2011 07:23 AM

I think I went a little bit overboard...
 
LOL. Show prep is going into full swing for this show I'm entering, my local show actually. It's in a month's time.

Sooo... it was my birthday the other day, and I got given $100 cash/tack shop vouchers. Straight to the tack shop and started buying...

Amino Gloss horse shampoo, it's pink and awesome and is meant to leave the good oils in the coat
NRG Pro-Plaits spray
shiner spray, can't remember the name of it
Alto-Light clear highlighter
white chalk block, to help mask dirt/stains
Sock-Em stain remover, for BRIGHT white markings
paintbrush, for the Sock-Em

was going to get clear hoof polish but it was $40 for a small bottle... too expensive, I'd spent too much already. Same deal with show sheen, the stuff I got was cheaper and supposedly does the same thing. Ended up spending $100 on JUST show prepping stuff. I'd gone in for new riding boots!

...which I went in for today. $70 later, with new riding boots in tow, I get home to find out that I need to get a blouse and a hat, which will probably be another $100, AND I need to make another browband for Monty so it matches what I buy to match the browband I made for Satin. Probably ANOTHER $30. The total amount I'm going to end up spending on this show is in excess of $300 :shock:

...but I'll do it. It's going to hurt my poor bank account, but hey, I probably won't have to buy all this again for a while, right?

That ^ coming from the person who, just hours after buying brand new riding boots, wants to start saving to get some Ariats to show in. Um, OUCH?

Hoss 10-05-2011 08:18 AM

i always told myself "it's just expensive at the beginning when you need to get all the new stuff" referring to tack and clothes. i learned real quick that that ain't the case - i have actually added a column to my finance chart (which i update monthly) called "horse misc" ... that doesn't include vet bills or farrier bills. just crap i buy for my horse like new polos and things i don't ever use (like a fly bonnet... i don't even jump). haha learning early how to avoid impulsive purchases will really help you in the future when you want to get nicer things! ;) congrats on all your new "horse misc"! :P

blue eyed pony 10-05-2011 08:29 AM

Well I do need all this show prep stuff ;) I don't show often but when I do I like to do it right. I ride jumpers/eventers and presentation isn't important, in fact nobody bothers to even try to braid, so yeah, that's why I didn't already have this stuff.

I'm sure I could do it cheaper with baby oil for highlighter and stuff like that but I don't like using baby oil on faces... attracts the sun. More burn. And she's got a HUGE blaze so she has enough risk of sunburn as it is!

Hoss 10-05-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1191787)
Well I do need all this show prep stuff ;) I don't show often but when I do I like to do it right. I ride jumpers/eventers and presentation isn't important, in fact nobody bothers to even try to braid, so yeah, that's why I didn't already have this stuff.

I'm sure I could do it cheaper with baby oil for highlighter and stuff like that but I don't like using baby oil on faces... attracts the sun. More burn. And she's got a HUGE blaze so she has enough risk of sunburn as it is!

haha you THINK you need it ;) been there done that darlin. those things are nice to have but can easily be substituted or even borrowed in some cases. what kind of horse do you have? i love wide blazes. i have a paint gelding with a nearly all white face. i have to clean his muzzle and blaze with a washcloth nearly every day. he's so messy...

blue eyed pony 10-05-2011 08:48 AM

Satin's a grade, unregistered and as far as I know not eligible to BE registered. I know her sire's name and his breeding is totally unknown. Her dam is a part-bred Arabian. Her blaze starts big, goes narrow and falls off the side, and then goes lovely and wide again so it covers all of one nostril and most of the other. There's a really good pic of it in her folder.

True that, I could beg borrow and substitute, but I want to get her out and about a fair bit next show season and onwards, so I might as well have the gear. I mean I had the money, it's not like I had to go into debt or go without something.

One thing I really DID need were the new boots - my old Dublin zip fronts are falling apart. They had a good life - worn every day for two years and stood on more than a few times.

...and yet I still shouldn't be spending so much money on show gear when I desperately need to get myself a better jumping saddle. I'm stuck in a cheap little AP that's an inch too small for me. -shrugs- we'll get there.

Hoss 10-05-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1191800)
Satin's a grade, unregistered and as far as I know not eligible to BE registered. I know her sire's name and his breeding is totally unknown. Her dam is a part-bred Arabian. Her blaze starts big, goes narrow and falls off the side, and then goes lovely and wide again so it covers all of one nostril and most of the other. There's a really good pic of it in her folder.

True that, I could beg borrow and substitute, but I want to get her out and about a fair bit next show season and onwards, so I might as well have the gear. I mean I had the money, it's not like I had to go into debt or go without something.

One thing I really DID need were the new boots - my old Dublin zip fronts are falling apart. They had a good life - worn every day for two years and stood on more than a few times.

...and yet I still shouldn't be spending so much money on show gear when I desperately need to get myself a better jumping saddle. I'm stuck in a cheap little AP that's an inch too small for me. -shrugs- we'll get there.

ha, see, i tore the boot pull off the back of my paddock boot last night. they also won't zip up anymore because i went so many times with just slipping them on and riding instead of zipping them up. time for some new ones!:)

what size saddle do you need? are you looking for a cc or another ap?

blue eyed pony 10-05-2011 09:12 AM

haha definitely.

Umm, I usually ride in a 17.5 inch, but could squeeze into 17 inch if I had to. any smaller than 17 inch and I just can't ride effectively. Ideally I'd like a proper close contact jumping saddle but I'll settle for a better ap that fits me if that's all I can find that'll fit Monty. Trouble is, my price range is pretty much zip, and Monty's hard to fit... and I won't buy if I can't see it/try it on my horse first, so I'm looking strictly local. Local as in within 3 hours of my house.

Hoss 10-05-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1191821)
haha definitely.

Umm, I usually ride in a 17.5 inch, but could squeeze into 17 inch if I had to. any smaller than 17 inch and I just can't ride effectively. Ideally I'd like a proper close contact jumping saddle but I'll settle for a better ap that fits me if that's all I can find that'll fit Monty. Trouble is, my price range is pretty much zip, and Monty's hard to fit... and I won't buy if I can't see it/try it on my horse first, so I'm looking strictly local. Local as in within 3 hours of my house.

i see you're in australia, so no buying from me! haha ;)

blue eyed pony 10-05-2011 09:34 AM

haha no unfortunately not ;)

-sigh- I'll find something... eventually

candandy49 10-06-2011 11:32 AM

LOL...so sad, but true that all the necessities of owning a horse cost more that the horse in most instances. There is the saddle and bridle, grooming supplies, a tow vechicle and trailer, vaccines, vaccinations and medical supplies and the list goes on.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0