The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Guns and gun control (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/guns-gun-control-99683/)

Spyder 10-05-2011 06:40 PM

Guns and gun control

It is not that much of an issue up here. Minor one, just not taken as strongly as the Americans seem to do.

Do you REALLY need a gun for protection?

Doesn't that say that at least in the US that everyone thinks the next person is out to murder them?

Canada had an "old west" period of time just as the US did but it seems the US never really left that in the past and packing a gun ( or at least having one in the home) seems to be a must have.

Is this why the US is perceived to be more violent as a whole ?

I wanted to move to the US at one time but in hindsight I am glad I didn't with all the violent ( esp relating to shootings) stories that come out on the news.

Allison Finch 10-05-2011 07:22 PM

Trust me, the violence here is overrated. There are MANY countries much more violent, some in Europe that would surprise you. The difference is our media reporting. Our media thrives on the violence as a way of attracting attention to themselves. We make celebrities of the violent schmucks. Every violent situation becomes big news.

Canada doesn't seem to sink to the same media blitze levels. Too bad they can't block out transmissions.

I have lots of firearms....I AM a firearms instructor for the police dept. I don't see it as simply protection (I rarely carry off-duty) but more as recreation.

equiniphile 10-05-2011 07:44 PM

I think that the bad in the country give the rest of us a negative name....sort of like most things in the equine industry. People in the States thrive on violence--they find comfort in watching it, glad it's not happening to them. In my entire life, I've never seen anything like what's expressed on the news. My dad has a concealed carry license, and I plan to get one when I'm an adult. Some people just like that extra security.

Joe4d 10-05-2011 07:54 PM

You are welcome to move next door to me, I will put a big sign in my yard with an big arrow pointing at your house, under the arrow I'll write,
"My neighbor doesnt believe in owning guns, there fore I promise not to use my guns defending her."

As long as bad people have guns, good people should have the means to defend themselves. Police dont protect anyone, they only arrive and investigate after the fact.
Hitler created modern gun control and registration schemes. Get all the guns registered to make the sheep safe, of course that made it easy just to go round up everyone.

Eliz 10-05-2011 08:06 PM

Lol everyone around here is super redneck about gun control.. The gubment will NOT take our firearms!!

Personally, I am not confident enough to take guns with me anywhere. My step dad is a police officer, and always had his gun with him. I don't think that in a sticky situation I'd be able to pull out a gun and murk on someone.

But I think people should have to right to choose to have one, just like the right to abort, etc. Personally, I don't think there should be a seatbelt law, either for someone over 18, but that's just me.

Delfina 10-05-2011 08:07 PM

Do I think anyone is out to murder me? Nope

However, I'm certainly not about to wander outside and beg Mr Rattlesnake to not bite me. Nor am I crazy enough to get close enough to use an axe or similar weapon on him.

I value my safety as well as the safety of my animals and children. Therefore Mr Rattlesnake gets the shotgun treatment if hubby isn't home to deal with him for me. Told Hubby I want a .22 as I don't like firing the shotgun so close to the house, we're debating if a pellet gun or a .22 would be more suitable. Either choice, our children will be learning how to use it as the more education they have on how guns work and proper gun safety, the better.

Worst gun accident I ever saw was a Armored Car driver. He got bored while waiting for his partner to collect the $$$ from me (I was a bookkeeper for a grocery store chain and prepared the bank deposits), took out his gun, was playing with it and managed to shoot it. Armored Cars are bullet-proof.... not only do bullets not go in, they don't come out either. Ricocheted around the vehicle, went through his arm and then his hand. He lost the complete use of his hand AND his job that day. Guns aren't toys and the sooner my kids learn that, the better.

Golden Horse 10-05-2011 08:14 PM

:lol: You know I was just discussing this in another place recently, what a coincidence...

I used to feel strange visiting the US from the UK, looking at your armed police, it was very odd to be sitting eating in a restaurant with people with real live guns strapped to them sitting at the next table. It was also scary to think that many other people would be carrying, and I just couldn't see nay need for guns.

Now I'm a proud Canadian and I own, or rather the family owns many guns, and I shoot, at certain times of the year I don't leave the house without a long gun in my hand. I live out in the prairies in the place a bit further away than the middle of nowhere, and we have all sorts of critters around here, while I'm happy to live and let live, if they threaten me or mine I will shoot.

Are any of my guns useful to me as protection against other people. I don't know and I pray that I never have to find out, because I never have and never will shoot to would anything, if I'm going to shoot it will be to kill.

I know for a fact that the amount of guns that are kept in say a 20 mile square around here will be scary, there wont be many people in that area but there will be 100's of guns, if you take away urban populations it is reckoned that rural Canada is actually very very high on the guns per head ratio.

I tell what is very different here though, I don't think that I have ever see a street sign that is riddled full of bullet holes, it seems that we use our guns for the purpose intended, not to randomly take pot shots at things.

.Delete. 10-05-2011 08:44 PM

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 10-05-2011 08:45 PM

I think a sociological comparison of Canada and the US would be fascinating; so close and yet not. I think that Spyder has a point in that the US has a fundamentally more violent society and some of the "Wild West" mentality still survives. It cannot be because our land required that kind of self reliance, because Canada is even more wild and natural and demanding on the human for survival.

I might like to think that it has something very fundamental to do with how we starteed out our "countryhood"; after 10 years of bitter fighting against our own "mother". I think that since the people of that time were NOT united in the idea of breaking from England, it was necessary for those that wished to revolt to use a lot of strong, emotional propoganda to bring the sentiments of those on the fence over to committing to independence. Thus things like, "Dont' Tread on Me", and "Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" .

There's a certain fierceness that we worship and respect, even now, and I don't see that in Canada (except for hockey games). Unfortunenately, that fierceness can also be expressed in almost a love for violence, war , the battle, the underdog. I know that when 9/11 happended, I was so angry that I would have gone to war! I said, "Now they've woken a sleeping giant and they'll be sorry they did!" and I was into it. Now, I am so tired of the whole middle East mess. It's a no win situation.

I have never in my life had any unlawful violence perpetrated on me. I dont' carry a gun, but we own several, tucked away with no ammo. I dunno why. Just kind of cool, I guess. And target shooting is fun.

It saddens me when we are perceived as violent as the number one adjective that comes to foreigner's mind when they think of "Americans".

Spyder 10-05-2011 08:55 PM

Surprising enough there are wild animals that are creeping into the cities. Many are killing small dogs and a baby left in the back yard could be in danger.

Outside of certain areas were it seems multi racial seems to be the area norm you won't see piles of guns or gun violence. We handle our "critters" very well.

That is what the police force is supposed to do, that is their job. Outside of pictures I have seen of guns on various forums it just isn't something that is the norm, to see, handle or come into contact with personally.

This is the way the US comes across to me as far as guns are concerned.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...53219fa528b60c