The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indoor arena dust control?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  yooperbug 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an indoor arena or know someone that has one? A friend of mine just put up a 50'X100' and it's all sand. She is trying to figure out an affordable approach to keep the dust down. Any suggestions that work?

#2 ·
The old barn that I took lessons at had a few sprinklers around the wall of the arena. In the morning, the arena would get a light spray down. Not to much to make it all sloppy, just enough to keep the sand on the ground, and not fly around everywhere. Not sure if this is what you meant, but I hope it helps!

#4 ·
Fair enough then! I hope you can find something :)

#6 ·
It gets pretty cold here in the winter as well. I water mine though. We put in an overhead sprinkler system, we blow all the lines out with the air compressor before the freezing weather comes and in winter I drag out the hose and do it by hand and then walk out & drain my hose.

I have a friend who has a layer of crushed eggshell on top of hers. It has been pretty helpful with the dust. The bad side of it, she uses her indoor as turnout on occasion and had one eat more than his fair share of eggshell and colic. (I am assuming he was deficient in something and filling a craving)

#7 ·
Sprinkles here too... I don't know of anything else (or you have to get that "dust-free" footing, and even though I've seen people watering it).

#10 ·
I'm from Canada. And there is no way I'd be able to even lightly spray my arena w water in winter...it would freeze solid :eek:.

Every fall (late fall) usually around beginning of November I get a guy to come out who sprays Calcium mixture through my arena (its the same stuff they use on gravel roads to keep dust down)...it works great lasts me well into spring until such a time that we can ride in our outdoor arenas, or be able to hose down the indoor arena w water.
She may want to look into that, I jst called our local highway dept and they directed me in the right direction
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Yeah I'm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There is just no way to use water here in the winter months. We get well below -20 here, LOL. I will run the idea by her. I think it's a good idea myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.