The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Possible Jumping Horse Buy?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/possible-jumping-horse-buy-99788/)

caseymyhorserocks 10-06-2011 11:51 PM

Possible Jumping Horse Buy??
 
Ok.. So, I was offered by an oh so loved relative :hug: to buy me another horse... I would keep Casey to! It would be a jumping horse. Im currently at the level of 1-2 ft. Obviously I would start small at first with a different horse :-). But I would eventually be working up higher, so I have no clue the highest I will jump!! But anyways.. I found this horse! And I need some opinions, on what you think!!

Photo: http://www.dreamhorse.com/photos/sep/1726370.jpg
Breed:
Secondary Breed: Thoroughbred CROSS
Dutch Warmblood
Date Foaled: 2003 Gender: Gelding
Height: 16.1 hh Weight: 1,100 pounds
Color: Bay Other Color
or Markings: one white sock
Gaited: No Warmblood: No
Temperament:
1=Very Calm...
10=Very High-Spirited: 5
For Sale: Yes Asking Price: $5,500 (US)

Eventing
Jumping

Notes: Sound, handsome, bold and friendly, Lukas has 3 great gaits, big stride, scopey jump, soft mouth, always sound and ready to go. Has jumped 3 stadium,will go higher with training, novice x-country, some dressage training. Lukas is in full eventing training in --------. He loves to jump. Honest, will take any jump, water, ditches. He is at home in an arena, and loves x-country. I bought him for foxhunting but he doesnt settle out on country with cattle and a crowd of horses. Some eventing training (as allowed by my finances), as well as trail rides and schooling shows. Worked well with lots of horses in warmup arena. Lukas jumped into water, over ditches, 3-foot up/down banks and more at ------- recently; he has been to several horse parks and easily settles into the work. Loads and trailers, ties and handles well, gets along with other horses. He has a big jump and wants to jump bigger, sometimes faster, so best suited for an intermediate rider or a rider in training. Does a few dressage lessons with other riders at my barn and they love working with him. He trail rides great alone, and with a few horses-likes to be leader. I adore this horse. His price is not reflective of his quality and potential, its reflective of limited training miles.Video on youtube and I linking to this ad. search for Lukas 2011 montage.

videos:
jumping: walking: trotting/cantering :
Thank you so much!! I was thinking, do you think he is a bit heavy on forehand?? I was thinking that a little. And do you think his uphillness would affect him?? Thank you so much again :hug:

MyBoyPuck 10-06-2011 11:56 PM

Oooooh, I like him! I don't think he looks heavy on the forehand at all. In that last video, he back is swinging and he moving along stretching into the bit nicely. He looks great in the jumping video. Did you go see him yet?

caseymyhorserocks 10-07-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1193741)
Oooooh, I like him! I don't think he looks heavy on the forehand at all. In that last video, he back is swinging and he moving along stretching into the bit nicely. He looks great in the jumping video. Did you go see him yet?

No I havent... :cry: I really want to though! :-)

countercanter 10-07-2011 01:13 AM

I think he looks really stiff through his hind end, and I am not overly impressed with his jumping style, but that may just be how he is being ridden. If you do consider purchsing him I would have en exstensive prpe-purchase exam done. Something doesn't look right about the way he moves. It could be something as simple as he just needs to see a chiropractor, but something definitely doesn't look right.

Kitty74 10-07-2011 02:26 AM

I agree with countercanter-- really stiff through the hind end. And I really don't like his jumping style--of course, that could get better with more training, but as it is, I really don't like what he's doing with his hind end over the fences. If he goes any higher I feel like he's going to have serious trouble and start hitting rails. Of course, if you don't want to go much higher, then that's fine. But I really would go have a good, thorough pre-purchase exam done. He's cute, but I'm just not sure.

caseymyhorserocks 10-07-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty74 (Post 1193839)
I agree with countercanter-- really stiff through the hind end. And I really don't like his jumping style--of course, that could get better with more training, but as it is, I really don't like what he's doing with his hind end over the fences. If he goes any higher I feel like he's going to have serious trouble and start hitting rails. Of course, if you don't want to go much higher, then that's fine. But I really would go have a good, thorough pre-purchase exam done. He's cute, but I'm just not sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 1193801)
I think he looks really stiff through his hind end, and I am not overly impressed with his jumping style, but that may just be how he is being ridden. If you do consider purchsing him I would have en exstensive prpe-purchase exam done. Something doesn't look right about the way he moves. It could be something as simple as he just needs to see a chiropractor, but something definitely doesn't look right.

I was noticing that to, but I wasnt to sure, and thank you for confirming that! It turns out I will probaly have to wait about 6 months until I get enough money for future care from my job :-(. And by then he will most likely be sold, and well, if im not certain about him I dont have much desire to drive 8 or 7 hours...!

MudPaint 10-08-2011 10:44 AM

Casey, my biggest concern is that he looks like a horse that needs a strong rider. As you're just starting out jumping, you may want to look for something that is a little more .... quiet? The rider's really inhibiting his jumping style, keeping him all gathered up so he just trails with his hind end. I suspect he gets really strong/high headed to fences. He looks of on the flat, much more loose, but I suspect even here they're riding shallow, trying not to encourage too much energy. I don't know your level, but being that you're newer to jumping, I don't know if a horse that needs a lot of control would be the right choice.

As for his build... or any jumpers build.... You want an uphill build. It helps the horse rock back on it's hocks. Horses that are built down hill have a hard time balancing on the butt and getting that heavier front end off the ground.

caseymyhorserocks 10-08-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 1194871)
Casey, my biggest concern is that he looks like a horse that needs a strong rider. As you're just starting out jumping, you may want to look for something that is a little more .... quiet? The rider's really inhibiting his jumping style, keeping him all gathered up so he just trails with his hind end. I suspect he gets really strong/high headed to fences. He looks of on the flat, much more loose, but I suspect even here they're riding shallow, trying not to encourage too much energy. I don't know your level, but being that you're newer to jumping, I don't know if a horse that needs a lot of control would be the right choice.

As for his build... or any jumpers build.... You want an uphill build. It helps the horse rock back on it's hocks. Horses that are built down hill have a hard time balancing on the butt and getting that heavier front end off the ground.

Thank you!! And Its gonna be a year or two till I get another horse.... :-|

equiniphile 10-08-2011 11:39 PM

He definitely needs a very strong/confident rider to take control of him. Do you work with a trainer?

Clementine 10-09-2011 01:54 AM

I actually really dislike his jump, but that may just be because his rider is limiting him by restricting his head and neck. He looks very tense (thus the general stiffness), and like his current training has made him a lot of horse. I would probably try to find something a little quieter to learn on.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0