The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Water Baby, a work in progress (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/water-baby-work-progress-99790/)

tinyliny 10-06-2011 10:59 PM

Water Baby, a work in progress

5 Attachment(s)
MHFoundationQuarters has commissioned me to do a painting of her then 4 year old daughter, playing in the water park.
I will post here some of the progress.

First; rough sketch, then transfer to watercolor paper, then painted background and then girl. This is my preliminary study, not final painting.

Attachment 76435

Attachment 76436

Attachment 76437

Attachment 76438

Attachment 76439

tinyliny 10-06-2011 11:02 PM

the final draft

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 76440

Attachment 76441

I am thinking about how to treat the background in this final one. It will not be as busy as the prelim. What do you think? Do you like the hint of blue? Husband says do nothing but I dont' like her floating on emptiness.

Creampuff 10-07-2011 02:31 AM

I do like the hints of blue... As anyone would know, blue is very aesthetic, especially when it's toned down and not BLUE so much as it is blue.

The final draft is just precious, much more accurate. If this were my daughter I'd cry on receiving it. :) And the floating? I concur. It needs SOME sort of soft noise back there... But I'm running low on sleep so it's hard for me to come up with a whole lot of ideas. (SIGH)

I'll be in touch!

MHFoundation Quarters 10-07-2011 08:22 AM

I think the last one is great!!! I agree on the background, it needs something. I will love whatever you do, it's your interpretation & your artistic license!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creampuff (Post 1193863)
If this were my daughter I'd cry on receiving it. :)

That's the plan Creampuff. It's going to be a Christmas gift for my hubby. Here's the other one she did of my monster that I absolutely adore. For the record, I DID cry when it came in the mail :D

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artw...ss-here-85299/

chanda95 10-08-2011 12:43 AM

You know...I personally like the original background...maybe not go all the way up the page?? Start out at the bottom and phaze it out as you get closer to her head? No idea beyond that. Its a sweet picture!
Posted via Mobile Device

csimkunas6 10-08-2011 05:57 PM

tinyliny....its adorable! And beyond realistic!!! Fantastic job!

tinyliny 10-09-2011 05:21 PM

Finished Water Baby! Me so happy!

4 Attachment(s)
I finished Water Baby today and I couldn't be happier with the finished results. I took a lot of risks in workging with some techiniques that I really have no prior experience with. I had an image of how I wanted it to look when finished and except for the fact that I went outside of the masking tape and got some paint on the border (which was supposed to be pristine 2 inches of white, with deckled edge) , the finished piece lives up to my expectations. I can honestly say, that it's the best piece I have ever done. Forgive me for crowing. I put SOOOO much work into this and there are so many times that big work does not necessarily equal big success. So I am over the moon happy it worked this time.

Attachment 76624

Attachment 76625

Attachment 76626

Attachment 76627

Wallaby 10-09-2011 07:27 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. Tinyliny. You are so talented. Geez.
I adore the water splashing by her feet in the finished product. Well, I adore the whole thing but especially the water by her feet. Fantastic work.

Equusketch 10-09-2011 07:33 PM

I would agree that I think this is your best work to date. Bravo!

MHFoundation Quarters 10-09-2011 07:58 PM

Caroline, this is the second time you've made me cry. You're messing up my tough farm girl image. :wink:

I absolutely LOVE IT! You captured it perfectly. It's one of my favorite pics I've taken of her and you definitely outdid it. I can't wait to see my hubby's face when he gets it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :D

I love all of your work and I am partial since it is my kiddo, but whether it is or isn't your best ever I am honored you feel that strongly about it.